Esteemed Contributor

Re: A VELVET Skirt! Gorgeous Colours!

geez @Seka, I remember those pom pom fur collars. Talk about a flash from the distant past. Too funny.

I was pretty bowled over with Louis' velvet and moss crepe (mixed media) dresses. Did you happen to pick up either one of those? I know you like to wear black but the Plum/Black combo is quite striking. Again a great design that has alot of styling options to dress up or down as desired. I actually did a "whoa" when I put it on...now these velvet skirts!!!💖 My nostalgia is calling out to the green too. And we haven't even seen the velvet tops yet. Mercy, or should I say Merci to Louis!

Honored Contributor

@Seka wrote:

@rochelleS Your trip down memory lane reminded me of my Dark Green Velvet dress that my Mother made (such a great seamstress) when I was a young girl - a very simple classic style and I had a white rabbit fur collar (haven’t worn real fur for many decades now) when tied it looked like a Peter Pan collar with two small Pom Pom’s at the end of the ties!  

I’m definitely purchasing the Dark Forest Green Skirt when it’s posted!

I once wore a dark green velvet dress in the evening dress competition in a "miss something" or other contest back before the war.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rochelleS wrote:

This skirt looks like it'll be alot of fun. Many styling options are racing through my mind. I even have dark green cowboy boots and black cherry boots too. Ya hear that @GraceCO darling! I bet your RL sweaters would look great styled with this skirt too.

I had a mini trip down memory lane when I saw the green velvet. I made my high school prom dress out of a dark green velvet. Wonder whatever happened to that gown...I have a picture somewhere, complete with my beauty school beehive hairdo. Eyerolls, lol. 

@rochelleS

Oh, I agree! This skirt is perfect with a sweater & boots!  Now I see it's the two-tiered boho, but with a ruffle. Very cute.

Respected Contributor

I don’t have a lot of port tops. I have the mock neck but missed out on the cardi. And I have the long tunic which wouldn’t work. Do you all think black tops and shoes/boots would look ok? I’m getting the black skirt but also would like a color so trying to decide what would look good with a velvet skirt. I lack creativity. Lol
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@crazycockermom wrote:
I don’t have a lot of port tops. I have the mock neck but missed out on the cardi. And I have the long tunic which wouldn’t work. Do you all think black tops and shoes/boots would look ok? I’m getting the black skirt but also would like a color so trying to decide what would look good with a velvet skirt. I lack creativity. Lol

@crazycockermom

I too regrettably passed on the shorter port wk open cardi. I do have and love the mock t necks though. But I'm thinking shorter here with this skirt. To me anything too long might not balance well with the skirt. Do you have a specific occasion you're wanting to wear the skirt (s) to? 

Off the top of my head I envision a shorter jacket, waist length or a tad shorter. If you have and quasi dressy fabric like tapestry, metallics, ethnic styled woven or even a cool textured open knit come to mind. Or an embroidered or bejeweled tank, neutral background to showcase the details with a solid shorter jacket would be nice. Got a short denim jacket around? That would work with all three colors. Now Melissa, I must ask if you ever picked up any belts? I recall this was a stickler in the past. But here I'd consider wider or even a draped chain option. A simple silk tank, a special belt, short jacket, strappy shoes or boots is another option. I also have a vest collection that would be a suitable look styled with the skirts. I'd wear a whispy blouse underneath. If you go monochromatic, a colorful scarf, challis for the richness and drape, over the shoulder would look very nice too. Anything sound good or workable for you?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rochelleS
All of your ideas sound fabulous! I just don’t really have any of the items you’re describing. Lol. And I don’t really want to have to go searching for something to wear with it. Lately I just kind of dread shopping. To answer your question, I still haven’t picked up any belts, but I need to!

I really need to clean and organize my closet. Maybe I’ve forgotten about a few things. I may get a chance this weekend. But I want to order the skirt before then, don’t want to miss out on it. I’m ordering the tuxedo jacket. Are you?

ETA: no particular occasion.   I have a wedding to attend in December but have some other Linea items I’ve bought recently that I can wear.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't ordered the tuxedo jacket yet. I puIrchased a vintage Linea tux suit on ebay last year. Different fabric and shorter cut jacket but brand new and very nice. I also have a magnificent pale gold brocade jacket I'd purchased eons ago. I wore a hot pink silk blouse with gold dots that played off the colors in the jacket and black velvet slim jeans. Sooo pretty. Do I need another, nope. Would I love this new rendition, yup! I do have the black blazer and matching pant though. I probably could use a fancy schmancy brooch on the black jacket to dress it up and look for a long and narrower satiny scarf to bump up the look. My husband and I used to ballroom dance and I loved dressing up when we went out. I miss that.

I also purchased a new vintage velvet skirt on the bay awhile back in a wine color. A different style I'd never seen either and "regular" velvet not crushed. I do have Louis' prior crushed velvet skirt in black. A beauty. Came in dark purple too, one of your favorite colors, right @crazycockermom?

Eta The photo the Q posted on this skirt is beyond HALUCIOUS! Unbelievable. 

Respected Contributor

@rochelleS
Sounds like you have some very nice and special pieces. I am lacking such items so am going to snap this tuxedo up while I can. Like I did the sequin pants.

Oooh, if this new skirt was dark purple I’d get it without a doubt. Eggplant, blackberry, love all those colors as well as port. Will probably end up getting it and figure out what to wear with it later.

The picture is horrible!! Sad as it doesn’t do the skirt justice at all.
Esteemed Contributor

@crazycockermom

I've periodically seen that crushed velvet skirt in dk purple, quite a regal shade btw, on ebay. I've picked up some real beauties there. Here's another. ..black velvet jacket with Louis' lucious floral embroidery on the front. I don't recall ever seeing it but some of the other LL might, or even still own it too. It's a head turner that's right back in style again. His classic designs are practically immortal. 

Trusted Contributor

Wow, so glad it's posted early. I bought port and black. So pretty.