Frequent Contributor

Last night on the QVC Beauty Awards Laura Geller won for her Italian Marble lipsticks.

One of her new colors she called 'viola' (as in violet, which it was) and then proceeded to ask Jane if it should be pronounced 'voila' (the French word for here it is). They were both clueless.

Laura, or someone on her team, they are two different words, spelled differently...

VIOLA.....Italian for violet

VOILA...French for here it is

I know this is minor and admittedly petty, but things like this drive me crazy...how could an educated person not know the difference?

I like Laura, I admire her strength, business sense and most of her cosmetics line; she makes some great stuff......congratulations, Laura.

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

She probably doesn't speak French or Italian and didn't name it herself. I keep seeing "voila" spelled online as "wah-la" and "walla" online and I always have to read the sentence a few times before I figure out what they mean.

Honored Contributor

@savoriesThat's actually pretty funny, but I'd give them a break because sometimes when a remark comes off the cuff, the right thought just doesn't follow.  I'd think it's especially true in a busy setting like the one they're in.

I could probably be guilty of such a lapse -  in fact, I know I was just earlier this week!  I used the wrong name for the friend sitting opposite me - twice!  And I've known her for a long, long time.  Figure that one out.

Honored Contributor

Yup well that seems to happen often.People don’t know how to pronounce words anymore.Could it be that we don’t communicate verbally as much as we used to.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

She probably doesn't speak French or Italian and didn't name it herself. I keep seeing "voila" spelled online as "wah-la" and "walla" online and I always have to read the sentence a few times before I figure out what they mean.

@Alison Wonderland.  Agree with everything you said. I see "walla" here quite often. 

Respected Contributor

I have been disappointed in most people cultural ,intellectual and educational level in general so that lipstick name pronunciation was not a revelation to me.... but they can sell!! I totally did not need any lipstick but I bought this new set. 

Beautiful colors! I hope the quality is great too. Anybody used this this type yet? Is it creamy and smooth? TIA