Respected Contributor

Re: When LOGO does a direct copy of another brand.

@Ladyboomer @Justice4all @Suziqzee & all

To clarify, I'm disappointed in THIS COPY OF THIS JACKET, so unique. Not putting down the LOGO line. But she brands herself as a DESIGNER; you don't copy totally unique pieces by another line  . . .

Like @Pearlee pointed out in another thread, we can be disappointed in someone's words. And should, as @Pearlee did, point that out, even though we are general fans of the line.

Esteemed Contributor

LG is a stylist, and a good and very successful one at that. She is not a designer.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

LG is a stylist, and a good and very successful one at that. She is not a designer.

@queendiva: I agree. Styling is her background. However, she now brands herelf as a designer. Whether or not, it turns out, she is, in fact, designing.

I do think many of the LOGO line plays off things she did as a stylist, such as riping up side seams, inserting lace or chiffon bits . . .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@Justice4all:

I remember the Free People being $140-something.

Copying in fashion, I get. However, LINES copy lines. When a specific DESIGNER copies, we don't expect it. Because, you know, you're a DESIGNER!

It also matters whether you copied something more generic (kimono style jacket, for example), versus copying something totally unique (like this jacket) and copying all the unique features . . .

Actually, if you look at Sundance, Soft Surroundings, etc. the styles bear striking similarities, not all good in my opinion.  I am getting rid of bags of Logo, because I am unwilling to wear polyester, including chiffon and lace.  So many of Lori's rayon/span have become my pajama tops because they are soft and comfortable.  No more shark hems for me..yet I still buy her soft rayon/span or better quality cotton for the colors and graphics.  I also am divesting of her necklaces because I don't wear them and much prefer Linea jewelry 

Respected Contributor

By the way, @1Professor, you and I ordered the twisted yarn coat which, after returning for the right size and one that didn't shed much, has become a favorite purchase!!

Trusted Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

Actually, all of the q stuff is beginning to look alike...

I couldn't agree more @Justice4all, I feel the same way !!

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I tend to agree.......because i feel if she was a designer she would definately have more variety styles in her offerings....as opposed to revamping the style she has already presented since the beginning with different lace, chiffon, pockets, etc....

Also....i think all the fashion groups tend to take ideas from the other groups.....as an example...all the designers at the Q (except prob Bob M. and Linea)

have made available alot of the same items in their collections as the other designers.. cold shoulder, asymetrical, stripes, loungewear , huge florals, zippers all over, etc....

Respected Contributor

I am stunned that people see a problem here. How do you know that this brand didn’t see this and copy it from someone else?

Think about it how many jeans are out there? How many jean jackets are out there?

Of course Lori is a designer, She takes her inspiration from a lot of places and puts together her own materials, colors, everybody does that.

She didn’t steal anything. How many designers has she inspired?

Honored Contributor

@1ProfessorHi there. You wrote " To see her do a direct copy of another brand is disheartening"   But as  another poster pointed out above, it's not a direct copy, there are differences, the first one I noticed being no ruffle at the sleeves on Lori's version (and I do like the ruffle at the sleeves better!))   QVC may have been too cheap to do it  - who knows?  Clearly the two jackets are similar but not identical.

I'm not bothered by this at all frankly.  Perhaps it's because Lori has stated many times on air that a certain piece is a knockoff (probably not her word, she may have said copied from or the standby inspired by) of a lot more expensive item she purchased in Paris or NY or some place. In fact, she even mentioned one of her Paris replicas just a couple of shows ago (can't remember now which item it was though).  So this is nothing new and as others have posted, she certainly isn't the only one to do it; it's par for the course in fashion.   So it's not troubling to me at all (certainly not as troubling to me as what I posted about in my thread about her oral remarks last weekend).   

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@Justice4all:

I remember the Free People being $140-something.

Copying in fashion, I get. However, LINES copy lines. When a specific DESIGNER copies, we don't expect it. Because, you know, you're a DESIGNER!

It also matters whether you copied something more generic (kimono style jacket, for example), versus copying something totally unique (like this jacket) and copying all the unique features . . .

Actually, if you look at Sundance, Soft Surroundings, etc. the styles bear striking similarities, not all good in my opinion.  I am getting rid of bags of Logo, because I am unwilling to wear polyester, including chiffon and lace.  So many of Lori's rayon/span have become my pajama tops because they are soft and comfortable.  No more shark hems for me..yet I still buy her soft rayon/span or better quality cotton for the colors and graphics.  I also am divesting of her necklaces because I don't wear them and much prefer Linea jewelry 

@Justice4all  I'm so suprised by your post!   Actually, whenever I see a new piece of Links up, I always wonder whether you are buying it!  You have a lot more Links pieces than I do.  If you are divesting, do you want my address?  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy