Respected Contributor

When LOGO does a direct copy of another brand.

@Pearlee @Biftu @Mellie2 @Hippified @Trudey @Peg @Trudey & all LOGO sisters:

I realize that copying happens in fashion. But I'm sad about this one. I consider Lori to be a designer. To see her do a direct copy of another brand is disheartening. I wonder, now, how much of the line is NOT Lori but someone on her team.

I was (and still am) in love with her Twill jacket with flounce A301965 (have it in both colors):

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 10.40.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.43.59 AM.png

Just found that it is a direct copy, front and back, of a Free People jacket that had been released much earlier:

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.42.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.42.44 AM.png

At the very least, I would have expected her to put a twist on it.

The jacket was SO different from Lori's other, less structured, jackets. Because, it turns out, it didn't spring from Lori's mind.

{big sigh}

Honored Contributor

Re: When LOGO does a direct copy of another brand.

[ Edited ]

That's really disappointing.  I really like the Free People version because it has buttons on the sleeves and a little flounce at the sleeve cuff....and the belt in the back looks a littledifferent.... also the buttons go up each side of the front rather than just one side, but yeah, it's disappointing when you find out something like this, especially when you're told something and it turns out not to be quite accurate.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

That's really disappointing.  I really like the Free People version because it has buttons on the sleeves and a little flounce at the sleeve cuff....and the belt in the back looks a littledifferent..... but yeah, it's disappointing when you find out something like this, especially when you're told something and it turns out not to be quite accurate.....

@Q4u: Exactly, my friend.

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons I sometimes tune in to hear some of the designers I never buy is to hear them talk about the history of fashion.  Listen long enough to clothing designers (or artists in other media) and you hear over and over again about the past that's in the present.  I know that much of what I like to wear has strong roots in my past clothing.

As for this specific jacket - there's no doubt there are strong similarities, but I will say I like Lori's interpretation better -  unlike lots of her garments and the Free People jacket, I think Lori's is cleaner, maybe more classic -  certainly for me a jacket I could see being in my closet for much longer than the other jacket.

Finally -  I don't have a dog in this race -  I own nothing from either of the clothing lines under discussion!

Valued Contributor

Hmmm...they do look similar, but that doesn't bother me. I actually like the "Free People" one better because it looks a bit more tailored, plus I LOVE the color. I didn't buy Lori's version because I am not fond of her yellowish brown colors and rarely do blacks or navys.

I'm sure the Free People one is super pricey. It also looks like a much different material.

Respected Contributor

Curious, @1Professor, what is the difference in prices?

Respected Contributor

@Suziqzee wrote:

Hmmm...they do look similar, but that doesn't bother me. I actually like the "Free People" one better because it looks a bit more tailored, plus I LOVE the color. I didn't buy Lori's version because I am not fond of her yellowish brown colors and rarely do blacks or navys.

I'm sure the Free People one is super pricey. It also looks like a much different material.

@Suziqzee: About $40 more, I think.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Justice4all:

I remember the Free People being $140-something.

Copying in fashion, I get. However, LINES copy lines. When a specific DESIGNER copies, we don't expect it. Because, you know, you're a DESIGNER!

It also matters whether you copied something more generic (kimono style jacket, for example), versus copying something totally unique (like this jacket) and copying all the unique features . . .

Respected Contributor

Actually, all of the q stuff is beginning to look alike...

Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

That's really disappointing.  I really like the Free People version because it has buttons on the sleeves and a little flounce at the sleeve cuff....and the belt in the back looks a littledifferent..... but yeah, it's disappointing when you find out something like this, especially when you're told something and it turns out not to be quite accurate.....

@Q4u: Exactly, my friend.

In Lori and her team’s defense, I think very few ideas/designs are true originals. I think what Lori does best is put her unique spin on fashion by reinterpreting designs and “looks” she likes. She makes fashion fun and available to women who might not shop in the trendier stores or who can’t find their size in them. I’m in my 60’s, petite , busty and117 pounds. When I wear Logo I feel ageless, vibrant and playful. I would never wear that Free People jacket...too much frou frou for me. I’m sorry I missed out on Lori’s reinterpretation.

Sorry to rant on.