Honored Contributor

REVIEW A394715 Print or Solid Seamed Knit Midi Dress (TSV)

[ Edited ]

I absolutely loved the teal tie dye choice in this dress. At 5'3" I ordered the petite choice because although my body proportions are not petite and I wear regulars in almost all clothing this looked very long.  And because petites don't usually fit me quite right, I ordered two sizes: PMedium and PLarge.   As I mentioned earlier on the TSV thread about this dress,   this style is not flattering on me (empire waist and ruching do not flatter my larger butt) but I loved the print and the price wasn't bad so I ordered them.

As the Beatles sang: I Should Have Known Better. 🎶

The dress is fine but OMG it looks really awful on me, 

worse than I remember this style looking.  I thought when ordering, and as @Biftu  commented to me, at least I could use it on hot days to run errands. No! I wouldn't step out of the house in this!

That is just because of my body type not the dress. I love the print which looks very much like a softer version (due to the material) of my beloved tie dye boyfriend pants in fuschia  A394715.  But the dress looks extremely matronly and ages me about 15 years!  And wouldn't you know it? The PM fit better than the PL but the PL had much fewer dreaded white blotches in the tie dye than the PM did, which had two big ones in the front. So the tie dye was much prettier in the one that fit me worse.

On another thread, @1Professor  gave this a favorable review in the black and I understand that. She is taller and much slimmer than I am,  and the material is good --- soft and light weight for summer. But this style is just a no go for me.

@dulwich. @kipper 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REVIEW A394715 Print or Solid Seamed Knit Midi Dress

I ordered and received 2 of them: the black one and the pink print. I wear a PM. I thought this dress was outstanding! It was extremely flattering on me! In fact, I immediately ordered another one... The blue teal tie-dye one. Sorry..but I think most people are SO wrong with their negative comments. I am 5' 5" and about 150 lbs. It was very slimming on me......and I am very picky about that factor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I ordered and received 2 of them: the black one and the pink print. I wear a PM. I thought this dress was outstanding! It was extremely flattering on me! In fact, I immediately ordered another one... The blue teal tie-dye one. Sorry..but I think most people are SO wrong with their negative comments. I am 5' 5" and about 150 lbs. It was very slimming on me......and I am very picky about that factor.

@Goldengate8361  I'm very happy it worked for you but I don't

Know why you'd call someone's comments "wrong" who feels it looks awful on them.  Are you suggesting that when I saw how it looked on me in the mirror that I was wrong? Sheesh.  It looks matronly and awful on me!

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee   Received my petite large  today and absolutely love it.  Ordered the green print.  Fit is perfect I feel and look good in this lightweight dress so glad to have found a summer dress that works for my shape.

Only thought I have is length.  Ordered one in petite and one in regular so will await the regular then decide which I prefer.  The  petite comes just below my knee the regular maybe too long but will see.  So happy with this I  hope the regular arrives soon so I can order the tie dye.

So disappointing for you - sorry it did not work.  Dresses, I find, are hard and I am truly amazed that this fits and looks so good.   More to come I am sure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich. I'm so happy you are pleased with yours!  As I had thought I'd made clear in my OP, the dress looked dreadful because of my body type, not the dress. So I'm not surprised it works for others.   (I'd like to be shown that same courtesy about it not having worked for me without being called wrong.  😠 )  If you like your fuschia tie dye pants, you'll like the tie dye.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee I'm not saying you are wrong at all. I may have overstated my point a bit.... I just felt compelled to speak up and share my positive view of this dress in light of SO many nasty, negative comments about it and logo clothes. I noticed that MANY of the earlier negative comments were from people who had actually NOT tried the dress on (unlike you....who is clearly speaking intelligently about your hands-on experience with trying the dress on).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Pearlee I'm not saying you are wrong at all. I may have overstated my point a bit.... I just felt compelled to speak up and share my positive view of this dress in light of SO many nasty, negative comments about it and logo clothes. I noticed that MANY of the earlier negative comments were from people who had actually NOT tried the dress on (unlike you....who is clearly speaking intelligently about your hands-on experience with trying the dress on).

@Goldengate8361  Thank you for clarifying.  So of the reviews dissed. the material for being thin but I like how light weight it is for warm weather. I think the dress is well worth the money if it works for someone.  Since I think the tie dye is very pretty I wish it had worked for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm very pleased with my dress in the tie dye.  Nice weight for those hot days.  I ordered my usual size in petite and it is perfect.  Even the length which comes below my knees is the length I like.  The tie dye on mine had none of those unwanted splotches @Pearlee  like we dread getting.  You kind of predicted this wouldn't work for you, guess you were right.  You now know for sure this style is not for you.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I'm very pleased with my dress in the tie dye.  Nice weight for those hot days.  I ordered my usual size in petite and it is perfect.  Even the length which comes below my knees is the length I like.  The tie dye on mine had none of those unwanted splotches @Pearlee  like we dread getting.  You kind of predicted this wouldn't work for you, guess you were right.  You now know for sure this style is not for you.

@Biftu. I'm really happy you like yours, it fits nicely, and doesn't have the dreaded white splotches. As I posted above, the PL I got had very minimal of that, not an issue at all, whereas the PM had more and larger ones. I think you own the fuschia tie dye boyfriend pants too (item #in my OP). Do you also  think this tie dye greatly resembles that?

Valued Contributor

I'm with you @Pearlee. It's matronly on me too, and it's going back. I think one thing for me is the neck shape/height. If this was a v-neck, perhaps it would not make my bustline appear so low and large, which seems to add to the old-lady vibe this dress gives me, with my pear body shape.  I remind myself of Thelma May Harper (Mama) on the Carol Burnett show, lol. 

I'm happy to hear that it works so well for others, just not for my body type. 

What are these "white splotches" you've mentioned?