Honored Contributor

Lori Said Some Insulting Things Over the Weekend IMO

[ Edited ]

I watched Lori's several shows over this weekend and I think she was insulting a few times.   I think she should just be more careful about what she says and not talk so much and think before she talks. I can't remember the exact quotes but I will paraphrase.

One time she was talking up an item and said said "this will make you look like an important person."  Well, gee, I think I'm an important person even when I'm not wearing LOGO and most people I deal with consider me an important person.   I don't need to be wearing a LOGO garment  to be considered such.

Another time - I think it was on one of the Saturday shows, Lori started saying something about one of the items being presented, to the effect that the garment would look like something your friend wouldn't think you could afford.  Huh?  Lori, many in your audience can well afford expense things - you aren't the only one.  Yes, Lori, you are far wealthier than I am with your milliions of dollars, yet I can also afford to be designer clothing.  Please don't assume QVC shoppers can't afford expensive clothes.  I thought that was rather insulting.

On the Sunday night show she said to Amy that she is "half hippie."  Amy asked her then what her other half is and Lori said  - and again I'm paraphrasing - "Jewish.  I like to buy things.  Half of me is hippie and the other half likes having pretty things."    So liking to buy things is a Jewish trait?  I don't think so and I think that was an inappropriate remark.

I know some of you will disagree with me.  That's why I put IMO in the title.  This is my opinion and how I took her remarks. It's fine if others didn't take them this way, I am merely expressing my opinion and wonder whether anyone else noticed these comments.  I do think Lori shouldn't blurt things out and should think about what she is saying more than she does.

Edited to correct a typo in the first paragraph.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Lori Said Some Insulting Things Over the Weekend IMO

@Pearlee, I understand and in total agreement.

These days things fly out of the hosts and vendors mouths without a thought .

In life, we pause and really think to what we say, well most of the time.

But when you are on national TV, the disipline MUST be there.

I tried watching here and there, but I cannot get thru the presentations. Everything is way over the top these days.  IN A NUTSHELL........WAY OUT OF HAND.

The jewish comment....oh my.  JUST WOW.

The powers that be will not let this thread continue I believe. UGH !

Great observations @Pearlee !!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Pearley,

I did not see Lori's presentations but what you recounted in your post is concerning.  As a Jew, she probably thought she could make her remark with impunity, but that's not how it goes.  Loving beautiful things and buying them is not a vicious statement in and of itself, but when you choose to describe a group of people as ALL being that way, you generally get into trouble.  

She needs to be more circumspect in her comments.  Sometimes we think we are "safe" when making what we believe are harmless asides -- but so often, such remarks are offensive if we reflect on them.   

Honored Contributor

@PearleeI get some of what bothered you (didn't watch, so there was no way for me to be insulted in any way), but for as long as humans have been wearing clothes, clothes have made a difference -  even to the poor emperer who had no idea he was parading in his birthday suit.

I don't think when Lori says one of her pieces will make you feel important there's any reason to think she means no other clothes can do that.  If that kind of thing were true, women wouldn't be gusging over what they buy from Kouis or at Talbots or Saks or from any other store or designer.  I think almost everyone buys her clothes to present ourselves to the world the way we prefer to be thought of -  no matter what that world is and even if our intention is more subconscious than deliberate.

One example from this morning's posts here:  someone posted a picture of a young Grace Kelly in a beautiful white bikini.    One could ask -  is the white consciously chosen to be virginal or is GK just subconsciously giving off that message?  After all, she would have looked just as lovely in black although I think the message would have been different.

Trusted Contributor

Perhaps Lori better think that the ppl who are listening to her are the same ppl who buy her clothing. It often seems to happen that ppl forget who gave them their platform.

Honored Contributor

Hi @millieshops  Just to clarify, she didn't say that wearing her clothes will make me feel important, but rather that people will perceive me as an important person because I'm wearing that garment.   My point is that people perceive me as such for a lot of other reasons that the clothes I am wearing, whether LOGO items or not.  I will go back and read my post now to make sure it's what I was trying to convey and, if not, will tweak it (edit) so it is.

@golding76  Just FYI, I am Jewish.  Thanks for your post in agreement.

Trusted Contributor

These people don’t have a script so they just wing it and have to say something.  Obviously, they don’t mean to offend but when you have to talk for hours about a top, something is bound to fly out of your mouth that might not be exactly what you mean!  Just don’t take it personal.

Honored Contributor

@Phantom41wrote:

These people don’t have a script so they just wing it and have to say something.  Obviously, they don’t mean to offend but when you have to talk for hours about a top, something is bound to fly out of your mouth that might not be exactly what you mean!  Just don’t take it personal.

@Phantom41  Your point is well taken.  I should have also stated that I've been watching almost all LOGO shows since Lori first came on, and until this weekend, never felt offended/insulted by anything she's said (although I've had other issues with her presentations, I have not thought she was insulting).   I'm surprised this was the first time, given all the hundreds of shows of hers I've watched over the years!

Honored Contributor

I agree ...these were all insulting comments. 

People should think before they speak, IMO.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I've never watched LOGO for more than 5 min anyway. In my opinion, Lori is a snooty person. I will NEVER BUY or watch her shows, now for sure!! 

I couldn't resist opening this thread with the title. Another spiral in QVC downward spiral, again IMO.