Respected Contributor

LOGO brand just purchased by Xcel Brands

Thread just popped up on Fashion.

NEW YORK, April 5, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Xcel Brands, Inc. (NASDAQ: XELB) today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire the Lori Goldstein brands, including LOGO™ by Lori Goldstein.

The acquisition focuses on growing the popular brand through a multi-channel approach including Live streaming, e-commerce and global direct-response television networks, and expanding the business into new products and categories.

Designed to bring style to the masses, LOGO by Lori Goldstein launched in 2009 and has been profitable since inception. Boasting more than $1.5 billion in historical retail sales, the brand offers multiple categories such as casual womenswear, outerwear, eyewear, jewelry and activewear.

*Wow*

Respected Contributor

Re: LOGO brand just purchased by Xcel Brands

Thoughts on this sudden purchase and planned "expansions?"

@Pearlee @dulwich @Biftu @haddon9 @Hippiified + Logo fans

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Doesn’t it seems that always happens?  😠

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Apologies, I missed all the thoughtful comments many already made in the Fashion thread. Great thread, check it out.

I'm still Wow. And I'm a lawyer.

This from that thread:

"Spokeswoman of the Lori Goldstein Brands. Ms. Goldstein is also required to promote the Lori Goldstein Brands through social media, television media (including QVC) and other media as reasonably requested by the Company."

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@1Professor It seems that whenever a large corporation buys a smaller company you can be sure that there will be changes in the product itself....good or bad but usually not so good.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@1Professor It seems that whenever a large corporation buys a smaller company you can be sure that there will be changes in the product itself....good or bad but usually not so good.

@haddon9   What got me was all the specific "expansions" in the contract. 

Of course they could push for a super Lavish line (to be sold elsewhere), but it sounds like they will put her name on other products (beauty? linens?).

For the last year I've been buying several of any LOGO that fits perfectly and I wear often (usually under blazers for speaking or teaching), including the best denim jeans. A few special blazers.

Feeling now that having a stash of special Logo might be a good thing.

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking that a Creative Director may not necessarily have veto power over shlock. If I were Lori I would have spelled out my powers to the Nth degree in the  contract (admittedly I only skimmed it quickly on the other thread).

Respected Contributor

@1Professor Wow, I am flabbergasted! I don't even know what to say yet!

Respected Contributor

TSV-March-2020_V212.jpg

This image (and others) now being used.

Reported on all marketing/business channels.

Xcel's stock just went up 8% pre-trading.

Great historical recap on Lori on one cite:

A pioneer in the field, Lori Goldstein was one of the world's first stylists, whose interpretations of fashion and beauty have produced some of the most groundbreaking and iconic images in fashion and popular culture over the last four decades.

She began her career as a fashion stylist in the early 80s working with Annie Leibovitz. Throughout their 20-year partnership, they collaborated on the American Express "Portraits" campaign, which was named "Campaign of the Decade" by Advertising Age and the Gap's "Individuals of Style" ad campaign, one of the first ad campaigns dedicated to celebrating the style of celebrities and leaders from the arts and culture community.

A longtime contributor to Vanity Fair, Lori worked with Leibovitz on many memorable covers, including the culture-jolting cover of a nude and pregnant Demi Moore. In the 90s, Lori started working with leading fashion photographer Steven Meisel. Their creative collaboration has produced nearly 70 covers of Italian Vogue. Goldstein and Meisel's Valley of the Dolls-inspired campaign for Versace in 2000 was an epic piece that led to an exhibition of the classic photo series titled "Four Days in L.A.: The Versace Pictures." Her work with Madonna on the music video "Take a Bow" won her a VH1 Fashion and Music Award for Best Stylist.

Lori authored Style Is Instinct, an anthology of her work including over eighty astounding images that she created in collaboration with the world's finest photographers, published in 2013.

Valued Contributor

She just became a multimillionaire.   QVC won't be her priority I suspect.  Xcel will call the shots.