Honored Contributor

A353825 Jacquard Sweater Coat w/ Patch Pockets

@Biftu

First let me say that it's probably unfair of me to write a review yet.  I received this sweater coat yesterday (gosh, I'd forgotten I'd ordered it!) and opened it up but have not yet tried it on.  It's getting rave customer reviews of 5 stars so I hope I'll feel differently about it after I try it on and I promise to post again in this thread after I do.  But my first impression is bad.

Because...of the non-colors!  It looked so pretty in the online photo and when presented. But the colors are very dull, with the leopard print blending into the background of the coat and the pockets not nearly as distinguishable from the rest as I thought.  The colors look blah muddy to me and not especially pretty.   I do hope my opinion changes and, as Biftu knows, the lighting in my house is bad/dim so I need to take it outside.  But so far my first impression of it is I won't be keeping it for the price because so far it isn't very pretty to me.  Stay tuned though for additional comments.  Sometimes my first impressions are wrong (but not often).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A353825 Jacquard Sweater Coat w/ Patch Pockets

@Pearlee  I find first impressions generally hold true, but maybe after seeing it in natural light and how it fits you may change your mind.  You need to love it for that price.  

Honored Contributor

Re: A353825 Jacquard Sweater Coat w/ Patch Pockets

@Biftu  I also find my first impressions are generally true.  But sometimes, esp. with clothing, I'll change my opinion about it.  You are right though about that and about the price (we are so much alike!)

So....I tried it on today and also took it outside to look at in natural light.  Let me say first off that I am still disappointed in the colors, although I shouldn't be since LOGO is commonly muted colors.  I really think these look different in person - again drabber - than online and on TV.  The "purple" is really a grayish purple, although in the natural light the leopard stands out slightly more from the background than it did in my bedroom.  The background green (?)  is also very muted, like one of her drabber green colors of the many green shades she has done (she has done green-that's-almost-gray whatever it's called, frosted mint?  can't remember).   For whoever has watched the Irish sweater shows, wow, those Aran colors of purple and green can be really beautiful. These are not those colors but are much more muted.

OK now the good part.  My regular size medium fit and fit generously like a sweater should (but not too big) so you can wear clothing underneath it comfortably.   I think this sweater is appropriate to wear as outerwear esp. in fall or spring and also is appropriate to wear indoors such as you'd wear a duster.  It is supersoft and feels very nice.  It's about as warm as most acrylic sweaters are.  I'm in the midwest and it's really cold here (although warming up this weekend) and I certainly wouldn't wear it as outerwear on a day like today but it does provide some warmth (not like wool though).  

I had to roll the sleeves up twice because they are long but that still looked fine, not too bulky, although bulkier than rolling them up once.  The rolled up sleeves that match the pockets is cute.  The snap buttons don't show (there's sweater placket on the outside over the buttons) which is almost a shame because the snap buttons are quite pretty - a light tortoise shell color that goes well with the sweater (even though they don't show).   Problem is, they aren't sewn on real well and I expect them after being snapped open and shut many times, to fall off.  If I keep this, I'd need to reinforce them ASAP - there is too little threading holding them to the sweater.

I haven't yet made up my mind about this although I do agree with Biftu that I need to love it to keep it at that price.  I did like it better today, and it's possible for me to get over the initial disappointment I had at the colors being so muted and not as pretty (rather much gray-er) than I was expecting.  The style is cute, it's very soft and comfortable, and I have nothing like it in my wardrobe.  It isn't an eyelash garment by any means @1Professor, but the yarn or fabric used in it has a short eyelash element to it - it reminds me a lot of eyelash without all the length of eyelash (that probably doesn't make sense but would if you saw and felt the sweater in person).   I do think this is a great and comfy "thrown-on" garment if you feel you look sloppy, to throw on and feel much chic-er.   Still thinking about it but certainly leaning more to keeping it than I was at first impression.  I'm baffled, though, by so many of the customer reviews that say they love the colors and how pretty it is.  I guess I was just expecting it to be prettier.