Honored Contributor

A288891 Short Sleeve Top with Lace Overlay

So I got this in both the antique  taupe and the dark ocean blue colors, size medium.  They look completely different in each of those colors, almost like two different tops (I think the dark purple one will look very similar to the dark blue).  I'm keeping both but there are pros and cons - it's really cute but not perfect.

First off, although both are size mediums, the antique tauple one is a little smaller and fits me better.  I did see when ordering that the measurements ran a bit large, but they aren't large enough to go down a size in.  Both tops fit fine (and not as large as one of those other overlay garments I got months ago) but the antique taupe, being a little narrower, fits better.

The designs are really pretty.  The white flowers really pop on the dark blue one and aren't as conspicuous on the antique taupe one, which is definitely more subtle but also very pretty in its own way.  I think this is why they look so different in each color.

I'm not completely loving the way the sides come over to the front and how the pocket looks - which are in the solid Fr. terry fabric.  For one thing, it's a lighter/dustier blue shade than the dark blue on the blue one and so I think the pockets look a little out of place - if they were the same dark blue color they wouldn't (this is a minor quibble though - it's as if they solid Fr. terry is a bit heathered and therefore lighter).  I'm not seeing that in the antique taupe, but still don't exactly love the way the solid Fr. terry from the sides come onto the front of the top to become the pockets.  Something about the design of that looks a little "off" to me but not so much I'd return these.  They just aren't "perfect."  

Also, the solid Fr. terry fabric is the "rubbery" kind that is in another of her short sleeve tops I have.  Not enough to make me return it, but it's not my favorite of the Fr. terry she uses - it does feel rubbery.   

These are really pretty though. I will say the white pop of daisies on the dark blue do look perhaps too youthful for someone mid-60s such as myself, a little QF -ish.  That doesn't bother me at all (and I like a lot of QF too!) but might bother some people.  The blue top looks more "girlish" for that reason that the taupe one because that one doesn't have a pop of white daisies.

I'm happy with these but probably would be happier with them if I'd gotten them at the As Is price. I'm not getting a third (the purple).  Also, I haven't yet tried the antique taupe on with the couple of A.T. cardis I have and do want to do that.  I'm sure it'll go nicely with them.  Even if the A.T. isn't an exact match, there are plenty of other colors in the top to "go" with the cardi.  Sorry if I already mentioned this - but I do think the dark blue one looks much better on me in terms of "wshing me out."  The A.T. doesn't wash me out as much as it could, because of the other colors in it and different shades, but clearly the blue looks better with my fair complexion.  I still like the A.T. also though; and it's like having two completely different tops.

Honored Contributor

Re: A288891 Short Sleeve Top with Lace Overlay

This top has gotten really good reviews so far (with one exception - you can't please everyone!).  I like the description from someone who got the antique taupe, and described the top as "retro chic."  I would agree with that.