Honored Contributor

Re: A bad review because they didn't like it when presented on air?!?!

Yes I do consider a review an opinion.  However, when you go to an item and leave a review, you are leaving it for that specific item.  In that case, you should be reviewing the item based on having it in your hands, used it/wore it, whatever.  Product reviews shouldn't be opinions about color choices, availability, sleeve length, presentation, etc.  

I just reported a review this morning for the QVC2 Big Deal.  There is 1 5 star review.  It said "Please make this ring in sterling and diamonique."  That's not even a review.

I have attempted to leave product reviews before and they don't get published.  I never get an e-mail indicating why or what I did wrong that caused my review not to get published.  Posters claim you can't write about any shipping issue or mention another product.  There are always excuses.  But yet they allow a review for items that someone doesn't even own? 

I had no idea the mods said those were acceptable.  In that case, they aren't product reviews at all, are worthless (even more than I thought) and should be removed. There is no point to them.    

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's crazy that opinions of a NON-RECEIVED item are allowed as a review!  There was a lot of discussion about this, concerning a Linea item, and the mods accept it.  I read reviews for help in purchasing items.  How is someone posting an opinion of a non-received item going to help people with sizing, fabric content, how item wears/feels, or launders if they've only seen it on TV?  Makes zero sense to me and I'd think the vendors would question this, as it can skew the item rating (good and bad).  I've also seen positive opinions of items not received, which again doesn't make sense. 

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

One of the mods said opinions are allowed.  People don't have to own the item.   I think that's pretty dumb.  

It's up to the purchaser to sort through opinions from actual reviews.   

@Bri36- I understand what you're saying, but aren't reviews just opinions? Whether you have the item or not, it's just one person's opinion of the item.

There are educated opinions, when you have the product in your hands, or just opinions where you judge the item by the way it looks on television. However, they're still just opinions. There's no right or wrong.

Yes, reviews are opinions. 

You should actually own the item you're reviewing though.  A review shouldn't be based on what the item looks like on TV or the computer. 

Many times I've had something in my cart and then read the reviews and decided to cancel because people who actually bought it and felt it, tried it on, and washed it said it didn't live up to their expectations.  That's what I want to know...

Respected Contributor

The item is often very different from how it appears on tv or online.  Therefore reviews should be from those who actually received the item.  It would be good if there were a specific place to comment on the item as it appears on tv or online.  Right now, things are scattered.....

Esteemed Contributor

Some of your posts have reminded me of book reviews on Amazon. For example, someone gives a one-star review because they read the first page and couldn't get into it. Unfair! Another person gave one star because their book arrived late, or damaged. Unfair!

Then there will be a five-star review stating that they're so excited and can't wait to read this book. Unfair!

So I now understand what you're all saying.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett