Valued Contributor

my Sous Vide cooker arrived! Blown away!

[ Edited ]

I am in love with Sous Vide eggs at Starbucks!   Does anyone have a Sous Vide cooker? How difficult are the eggs to make in one?????

I notice WIlliams Sonoma has a nice Sous Vide machine for like $200 and I am super tempted to get it but first want to know how hard it is to use!!!!

Thanks either way Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: who has a Sous Vide cooker???

@Swissguy: Never heard of sous vide eggs, so I googled it. It's similar to a poached egg?

Contributor

I got a Curtis Stone stick one from HSN for $129 (was on sale).  I've heard about the eggs but haven't cooked any yet.  Heard the recipe is out there but I've never had them.  

I've cooked chicken breasts, chicken thighs, pork chops and steak.  I think that I will always use it for chicken breasts.  They come out so juicy.  I am dieting so I eat a lot of chicken!  I need to try eggs and a roast.  There is a lot of info out there, as you probably know.  The giant boneless skinless chicken breasts  are best to me cooked at 141 degrees for 2-4 hours.  I think it would be done at 2 but you can leave it longer if you aren't ready for it.  Some people say they leave stuff in all day.

I have just used freezer zip locks to cook in.  You can quick sear after or use a torch.  Hubby wants to get a big torch from hardware store instead of using my little torch.  Just for me, I don't feel the need to brown the chicken.  Steak yes.

The water makes a gurgling sound which could be annoying.  Doesn't bother me.  Heats up pretty fast.  I'm having fun with it and glad I got it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never used a sous vide, but @Swissguy has gotten me tempted with Starbucks.  So, I found a copy cat recipe  for their Egg Bites:  bacon and gruyere, using the Anova Precision Cooker.

Ingredients for 6:

6 eggs

1/2 cup grated gruyere

1/4 cup neufchatel/cream cheese/dairy free cream cheese option

1/4 tsp salt

3 slices cooked bacon, cut in halves

Extra equipment:  6 4-oz/125 ml canning jars with 2-part screw-on lids

Directions:

Step 1:

Set the cooker for 172 F/77.8 C

Step 2:

In a blender or food processor, combine eggs, cheeses, and salt until smooth.

Step 3:

Place your jars on a work surface and put a half slice of bacon into the bottom of each one.

Step 4:

Divide the egg/cheese mixtuer evenly among the jars.

Step 5:

Attach two-part lids and close to fingertip tightness.  This means using only your fingertips to screw on the ring.  If they are too tight, the air pressure within will not be able to release and the jars will shatter on the bath.

Step 6:

Once closed, submerge the jars in the water bath and set your timer for 1 hour.

Finishing Steps:

Step 1:

Remove from the bath and enjoy straight from the jar if desired.  You can also slide a butter knife around the edge, pushing gently inwards as you do so to loosen the base.  Invert jar onto heat-safe surface and e ither sear with a torch or place under a broiler for a few minutes for color.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I also own the Curtis Stone Sous Vide cooker.  I love it.  Haven't cooked eggs yet.  I cook chicken breasts, steaks, asparagus, cheesecake in the 4 oz jars (a party hit), ribs, roast, carrots and more.  I joined a sous vide FB group and learned a lot.  

Respected Contributor

My 11 in 1 Cooks Companion Multi Cooker has a sous vide function..Now you guys make me want to try it!

BTW, that cooker was a great value!

Respected Contributor

I have tried the Curtis Stone stick and made salmon.  Came out great.  But I returned it because I would have bought one of the containers with lid from Amazon and a rack to put in it.

I have decided to go with the Gourmia 11 in 1 cooker which has a sous vede function and people give positive reviews.  Can use the other functions for other things.  

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000333 EndHTML:000057897 StartFragment:000057650 EndFragment:000057761 StartSelection:000057650 EndSelection:000057761 SourceURL:https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GSV550-Digital-Temperature-controls/dp/B018CZD4O8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?ie... Amazon.com: Gourmia GSV550 9 Qt Sous Vide Water Oven Cooker with Digital Timer and Temperature controls – Includes Rack- Includes Free Recipe Book - 110V: Kitchen & Dining

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl  Thanks for the recipe.  But what are  2-part screw on lids?

Honored Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

@SXMGirl  Thanks for the recipe.  But what are  2-part screw on lids?

Mason Jar lids

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM, canning jars are the ones with two parts and very easy to find.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!