Valued Contributor

Re: who has a Sous Vide cooker???

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

@Swissguy: They sound good! Gonna give them a try next time I'm at Starbucks at breakfast time!

They are so good! MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm

Valued Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Egg Whites and Roasted Red Peppers

Ingredients for 6:

• 6 egg whites

• 1/4 cup cream cheese

• 1/2 cup cottage cheese

• 1/4 tsp salt

• 1/4 tsp pepper

• 2 T roasted red peppers/pimentos, or a like pepper

• 2 green onions, green parts only, finely chopped

• Equipment:  6 four-oz canning jars

Step 1:

Set cooker for 172 F/77.8 C

Step 2:

In a blender, combine egg whites, cream cheese, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper and process at a high speed until smooth.

Step 3:

Divide the mixture equally among the jars.

Step 4:

Add 1 teaspoon of red peppers to each jar.

Step 5:

Add equal amounts of green onions to each jar.

Step 6:

Stir fillings with a butter knife to spread ingredients.

Step 7:

Attach the two-part canning lids using fingertip method.  Do not over-tighten (see other recipe for directions).

Step 8:

Submerge jars in heated bath and set timer for 1 hour.

Use same finishing steps are previous recipe.

@SXMGirl

Thank you!! Who would have guessed cottage cheese!!! Maybe that's why they are so airy tasting?!?!?!  The texture of them is so light and fluffy .....

Thanks again !!

I have had the Curtis Stone model for about three months. I've only used it to cook steak - twice - and the results were pretty amazing. The method takes a little longer than conventional cooking, and until you get used to how to set the time and temperature settings, it can be a bit of a pain. But the steaks were among the best I'd ever had (including those I've had at del Frisco's and Capital Grille in Philly). I started out with very good cuts of meat, ( approx an 8 oz prime filet mignon about one inch thick each time), and I used a grille to sear the outside of the steaks post sous viding them (I used 125 degrees f. for 1 hour for a perfect medium rare steak). Next up is salmon and a hand held butane torch instead of the grille. I'm not sure I'll use the sous vide enough to justify buying it, but only time will tell.

Honored Contributor

Saw at bed bath and beyond the other day didn't know what it was

Honored Contributor

try some online stores.

amazon would probably have one

mmmmm wonder if walmart would carry them now ?

Frequent Contributor

I have an Anova and love it.  Makes the best steaks, hamburgers, chicken breast, flank steak, ribs, etc.  I have beef short ribs in now at 160 for 48 hours.  They then go on a red-hot cast iron skillet for about 5 minutes.....so tender you can eat them with a fork.  There is a wonderful Facbook group that will give you all the answers you need.  Good luck and enjoy.

Respected Contributor

I could use some help from an online group so thanks for the recommend to check out FB.  I also have an Anova, have used it only once.  I cooked a sirloin tip roast that was as tender as prime rib.  The browning in a hot cast iron pan created quite the grease splatter so I bought a small torch to brown the meat next time.  

Frequent Contributor

Great idea to use the torch.  I use the skillet on an electric burner outside or on my Big Green Egg.....method of choice.

Valued Contributor

@DaleP wrote:

I have an Anova and love it.  Makes the best steaks, hamburgers, chicken breast, flank steak, ribs, etc.  I have beef short ribs in now at 160 for 48 hours.  They then go on a red-hot cast iron skillet for about 5 minutes.....so tender you can eat them with a fork.  There is a wonderful Facbook group that will give you all the answers you need.  Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks!! Mine just arrived today and I am going to try making the egg dish tomorrow!!

Can't wait!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Swissguy  you have to let us know how you like it.

I just received my 11 in 1 Cooker (Gourmia) and I have the little canning jars.  Unfortunately, they forgot to send me the flat rack I need to put the jars on.  Called Gourmia on Thursday and one hour later the rack had been shipped but has not yet arrived.

Yesterday I also ordered a little torch and hope I will be able to figure out how to fill it and use it.  

Edited to add:  Perhaps we should start a new thread where we exchange successful recipes.