Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Here's my favorite white icing, it tastes like whipped cream IMO.

2 Tbs. flour

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup crisco

1/2 teaspoon. Vanilla

Cook flour and milk, cook till thick, and then cool

Mix  sugar, Crisco and vanilla, beat till fluffy, then mix in cooled flour mixture and beat again. 

You may may want to double recipe.

I make this one too, although when I first saw the list of ingredients I almost passed over it.  You think that it can't possibly make a decent icing, but it does. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker prepared icings in different flavors.  I would so take a short cut, but I'm not an icing lover.  Presonally, I prefer a quality cream cheese frosting with less sugar than most recipes call for.  I would top with different things from the sprinkle section.  Kids LOVE SPRINKLES!  The icing is mearly a material for attaching the sprinkles.  Kids also don't care what kind of icing it is, just that is the socially acceptable drug called sugar!

Yeah, I got some sprinkle colors I'll put on 'em.

Valued Contributor

I've made the cooked whipped cream icing for years.  Got the recipe from my Great Aunt many, many years ago.  However, I found this shortcut, whip cream tasting recipe a few years ago in a Sandra Lee magazine and think it's great, too.  

1 stick of butter (I use unsalted), softened.

1 cup powdered sugar

MIX with electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.

ADD 1-8oz Cool Whip, defrosted.

BEAT until thickened and smooth.

Respected Contributor

Re: white frosting

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

2 Tbs. flour

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup crisco

1/2 teaspoon. Vanilla

Mix  sugar, Crisco and vanilla, beat till fluffy, then mix in cooled flour mixture and beat again. 

I know this as the recipe for Twinkie Filling.  In fact, with the addition of Almond Extract, I made it this afternoon (doubled) for filling to go between two Devil's Food Cake layers.

Edited to add:  I just checked, and my Twinkie Filling also calls for an equal (to the Crisco) amount of butter.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

2 Tbs. flour

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup crisco

1/2 teaspoon. Vanilla

I make this one too, although when I first saw the list of ingredients I almost passed over it.  You think that it can't possibly make a decent icing, but it does. 

I know I was surprised that it is so good.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

She had me at Twinkie filling. Lord, have mercy. I'm gonna look like Jennifer on Mama June show.

10_8_10.gif

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

She had me at Twinkie filling. Lord, have mercy. I'm gonna look like Jennifer on Mama June show. 

@SharkE  I'm not familiar with your references, but get your gist nonetheless.  Woman Embarassed

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

LOL  I've been watching Honey Boo Boo and Mama June and her ex husband married Jennifer who weighs like 4-500 pds. on the WE channel

In fact it's on right now.

Super Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

2 Tbs. flour

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup crisco

1/2 teaspoon. Vanilla

I know this as the recipe for Twinkie Filling.  In fact, with the addition of Almond Extract, I made it this afternoon (doubled) for filling to go between two Devil's Food Cake layers.

Edited to add:  I just checked, and my Twinkie Filling also calls for an equal (to the Crisco) amount of butter.

I also use an equal amount of unsalted butter. Have been making it for many years but never connected it with Twinkies - have always called it French Buttercream.

Honored Contributor

Re: white frosting

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG   @dfyre

So you have 1/2 cup crisco and one stick of butter?