Respected Contributor

Re: whats cooking in your home this june?

good morning everyone and danking just hearing you mention chinese food makes me want some. wheni worked for shaws supermarket they had lobsters marked down to 2.99 a pound. i bought 10 lobsters. i boiled all of them. maria ate 1 and i cleaned them  and froze the meat. maria made lobster thermador.i put it under the broiler and checked it after a minute and found it on fire. the cracker crumbs ignighted. i thought she would kill me. but it wasnt bad . she just took burnt crumbs off. she said i couldnt get mad. your reaction and the dance you did when you saw flames was sooooooo funny. i have tears in my eyes jus writing about it. weathers great yestauday and today. pool went up wednesday and i went in yestauday. it had allready started to warm up. anna made pasta mestballs, dried artichokes, salad, brocoli,sausage and pappers, stringbeans,ribs,italian bread. very good. last night after we came in i grilled hambergers and hotdogs and had leftovers on the side. hope everyone has a great week.

Respected Contributor

Saturday night I made some spaghetti - as a go with had garlic bread - of course. Weird combo but also had some pickled beets - thought they would be a good add on - it worked. Yesterday was opening the Fridge door and taking stuff out. It is jammed and needs cleaning out a bit. Mostly a fruit day as I had a lot of watermelon, cantaloupe and strawberries. Great food to eat and nibble on during the day - still got a few small chores done. Still a packed Fridge so need to keep attacking it. Lots of spaghetti left in there.

Hopefully some people from Set Free will be out to spray the weeds - 
AGAIN - out back. Have always found getting rid of weeds real easy - not this year. Also looked out and I noticed the big flat bird food tray is again down on the ground. Either the bigger birds are getting too robust or Don's bird loving cat was out there again trying to get to them He is the cutest cat BUT way too eager to get to the feathered ones. That's twice in less than a week.

Have a good day everyone.

Respected Contributor

I had some warmed up spaghetti last night - soooo good!!!

The Set Free person came and sprayed out back - now we shall see if it works this time. Weather forecast this morning said we may have some rain today. Say it is NOT true!!! Give that spray time to work. Unreal.

Still have a Fridge full of food - am eating away on it so hopefully will manage to empty it out a bit. Lots of healthy stuff in there still - like fruits and much veggies like baby carrots. Cannot go wrong with that.

Have a good day everyone.

Respected Contributor

I went with a whim when David Venable's latest cook book was on free shipping and easypay. I am going to try 2 of his stovetop recipes : Mexican Street Corn off the cob  & Southern Succotash Stir Fry. They look easy , no oven, & a nice light item for main dish.

I like to purchase a new to me cook book every now and then for inspiration. I know so much can be obtained online , but I just like a different cook book now and then !

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

I went with a whim when David Venable's latest cook book was on free shipping and easypay. I am going to try 2 of his stovetop recipes : Mexican Street Corn off the cob  & Southern Succotash Stir Fry. They look easy , no oven, & a nice light item for main dish.

I like to purchase a new to me cook book every now and then for inspiration. I know so much can be obtained online , but I just like a different cook book now and then !

@okaywitheasypay   Usually, the books sold here are less expensive at amazon.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@mousiegirl  this is true I always 'surf' around . I have bought some from Amazon used that are very nice also. They are usually thru used book stores for just a few bucks with a small sh & handling --frequently under $10. total. They can take a littlelonger to get to you , although not any longer than QVC.  Smiley Happy I have never recieved a lousy one.

In this case QVC was offering it for $16. with free shipping and handling .I think it was at the launch of the  birthday month. I just checked Amazon and it is $22.?? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@mousiegirl  this is true I always 'surf' around . I have bought some from Amazon used that are very nice also. They are usually thru used book stores for just a few bucks with a small sh & handling --frequently under $10. total. They can take a littlelonger to get to you , although not any longer than QVC.  Smiley Happy I have never recieved a lousy one.

In this case QVC was offering it for $16. with free shipping and handling .I think it was at the launch of the  birthday month. I just checked Amazon and it is $22.?? 

@okaywitheasypay   Good deal.  Please let us know how the recipes turn out, they sound good.

Respected Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

@okaywitheasypay ------I do exactly the same thing when it comes to books......when available I buy them used and have never gotten anything that didn't look almost brand new.....if you can give us the succotash and Mexican corn recipes, we would be very grateful !!! 

Respected Contributor

Tonight it will be sausages on the grill and a pasta salad.When I make pasta salads I just put in what I feel like and what I have on hand.Today I made it with tomatoes,black olives,salami,and peeled parmesan cheese and extra virgin olive oil of course.Hope all have a great day.

Trusted Contributor

I haven’t been cooking much lately between an acute back/sciatica problem and lots of appointments & tests for my metastatic breast cancer. However, yesterday was our anniversary (48 years!)

so, made: 

prime-grade filet mignon (nearly 3” thick), baked potatoes with butter & chives, sautéed mushrooms and a beautiful 2008 Dusky Goose Pinot Noir.  A green salad was planned but, too full to eat! 

(We usually eat our salad after the main course in the French style - I think it helps digestion but, the bad part is sometimes no room for it).

@hellie jo  The pasta salad sounds delicious.  I haven’t made one in a long time. Like you, the ingredients vary depending on what I have. One of my favourites is leftover chicken, artichoke hearts, celery, peas with a lemon vinaigrette.  Sometimes I had cherub tomatoes and olives. 

Bon appetit to all!