Respected Contributor

Re: whats cooking in your home this june?

[ Edited ]

Today I am making an eye round.......Yesterday I took a 5 lb eye round and covered it very liberaly with kosher salt....wrapped it in Saran Wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hrs.........Today I will bring it to room temp, dry it and sprinkle with pepper and put it into a 500* oven. Will lower the temp to 475* and let it go for 35 mins.

Will turn off the oven and let it sit for 2&1/2 hours without opening the door.

This is an excellent tender roast and great for a rainy overcast 63 degrees like today. If there are leftovers, I can use them for the 80+ temps to come !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Danky wrote:

Today I am making an eye round.......Yesterday I took a 5 lb eye round and covered it very liberaly with kosher salt....wrapped it in Saran Wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hrs.........Today I will bring it to room temp, dry it and sprinkle with pepper and put it into a 500* oven. Will lower the temp to 475* and let it go for 35 mins.

Will turn off the oven and let it sit for 2&1/2 hours without opening the door.

This is an excellent tender roast and great for a rainy overcast 63 degrees like today. If there are leftovers, I can use them for the 80+ temps to come !

@Danky   Although I don't let my Christmas Prime Rib sit overnight in salt, I do roast it in a similar way. It sits until room temp, sprinkled with salt and pepper though the recipe says to do this after it is cooked, but the top fat needs it to render, in my opinion, then roasted at 475 for a period of time, then oven off for two hours or so.  It comes out rare to medium rare.  

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. its been very nice down here. sunny and in the 70s and nice and brezzy. this week maria made chinese pork fried rice witch she hated it. i ate it was good i thought and she allso made fried potatoes with red peppers and when it was cooked she put eggs in small spaces to cook them with cover on. wednesday night i thawed a pak of hamberger and made a meatsauce and cooked 2 pounds of pasta. so there was extra food to make up for the rice she hated. so i have been eatting pasta to because i like it better so rice i thru out. hope everyone has a great fathers day weekend.

Respected Contributor

Pooky1, you and Maria are eating very well - as usual. I love to see what is on tap at your home - some real good cooking and so much I would never think of. Yummy for sure.

After dying of the heat and humidity the first three days of the week - it was horrible - it has cooled off. Nope, does not mean winter has returned but the mornings, even now, I am sitting here with my Slanket on - that thing is so old but am so thankful QVC sold them many years ago. They may still do it, but mine has been around a long time now and is a lifesaver on cold mornings. Love it although the sleeves are a bit too bulky.

Got the two ornery cats taken care of, got my pills all down and sitting here with my coffee which is cooling off fast.

Hope all have a great day - have no clue what I am going to fix for dinner. Something simple for sure.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone and happy fathers day. winifred.  maria gets alot of recipes from pintrest and cookbooks. we have a bunch of cookbooks from taste of home. shes gets alot of good recipes from there books. some of there cookbooks are like 35 dollars but she uses them alot and cooks good stuff from them so i dont mind paying for them.yestauday anns cooked for jusi her , maria and i and she made home made gnoccia. with meatballs ,artichokes, fresh italian buns anise salad and i cant remember what else and today she was going to cook outside for fathers day but there could be showers so she cooked inside. it was the 3 of us plus annas son and his 2 kids.  today she made eggplant parm, brocolli, string beans, fried artichokes, salad, pasta,and hanbergers, steak, hotdogs and french fries and probably more. and she made chocolate chip cookies, brownies and an italian pastry . yestauday maria and i went to a psychic. she was very gppd and told us alot. we had separate sessions and we taped the sessions.hope everyone has a great day.

Honored Contributor

We are home alone this week and have a fridge full of leftovers.   But today I gave in to a craving for 2 bacon biscuits with thick slices of yellow tomato.   

Tomorrow we will choose between baked spaghetti, a burrito, or fried chicken.   By the time we eat these leftovers, the girls will be back, and I’ll start cooking again.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night was bar-b-q chicken thighs, mac saad, and haricots verts green beans.

Tonight, as I have lots of mushrooms to use, will be creamed mushrooms on toasted English muffins and asparagus tips on top, then will top it all with a poached egg.

The new vege box was finished yesterday, all soil added, and beans and more basil will be planted this morning.

Honored Contributor

DH wanted pot roast so I got a pot roast going about noon with some organic potatoes & carrots. Should be ready between 5-6. It's in the dutch oven in the oven. Smells wonderful in the house. 

Honored Contributor

Leftovers; fried chicken, corn, mashed potatoes and a cucumber.    Fridge has 3 less containers taking up space.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tonight I had leftover eye round heated up very quickly in aus jus so it still stayed very rare....had mashed potatoes and green beans and , later on tonight, I'll have watermelon. Speaking of watermelon , it was full of seeds just like when I was little.......I thought all watermelon was now seedless !!!

It was very good but had to weigh 30 lbs......barely got it sliced and in the refridge without breaking a shelf. If we had a regular size refridge and not a commercial one, it would never have fit.....