Super Contributor

Re: whats cooking in september?

@jannabelle1  I love,love love tomatoes and mayo on bread. Today I am making Brats for dinner with Cole slaw mix (cooked) and beans. Cannot wait. 

Honored Contributor

Great northern beans, bacon cheeseburgers, and onion rings here tonight.   Odd meal, I know, but husband and I wanted the beans, teacher daughter wanted the burger and onion rings, so I cooked to satisfy everyone.   

Also made pumpkin pies; had a big can of pumpkin I needed to use up, so made 2 pies.   Husband will take one to his brother tomorrow; I try to send something every month when my husband goes to visit, last month was pound cake, and month before that was apple pie.   

Respected Contributor

So very miserable here AGAIN yesterday. Am not spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Tossed a sweet and sour chicken dinner in the microwave for dinner, oatmeal for breakfast and went to Bobs Big boy for lunch. Not a difficult day for me at all. Today, probably will not cook again due to the excessive heat but I have been known to do completely opposite of what I say. Oh well.

Some good eating  going on people - keep it up.'

Have a great day and stay cool!

Super Contributor

Doesn't sound odd to me at all @RedTop    Sounds delicious.

Today I have already made lasagna and just waiting to put it in the oven. Salad and bread round out the meal. Going back to work soon and haven't made a ton of progress getting things ready for "no shopping" this winter. This weekend DH is making another pantry and we have ordered a freezer. Still don't know what to do if the electricity goes off.  

Respected Contributor

Keybra, look into getting a small generator. I know several people who have them. I have thought about them but that is as far as I have gotten and at my age now, would not get it probably because I would not be able to start it. LOL. You can also use a generator other things.

This house does not have a pantry and that has been miserable. So many homes do not have them but I always use them like crazy.

Saturday is upon us - last night was cool - what a blessing. That does not mean today is going to be cool - nope, will still be close to 100. This humidity is doing me in however.

No big cooking done here any more - Almost overnight I went from three others in the house to just me. While I am enjoying the peace and quiet I do need some help from time to time. This getting old just popped up overnight and at times it is difficult to deal with. I do have a big watermelon in the Fridge, need to start munching on that. Now I could eat that all day long - love watermelon. Need to start thinking about what for dinner however. It has been quite an adjustment worrying about food for one after almost entire lifetime of having others in the house. LOL. Am trying to figure out just how to reduce the amount of food I prepare. Always use to cook a lot and I always did that on purpose so I would have advance meals. Now it is almost a waste to do that. Just the other day I had to toss one thing from the freezer that had been in there too long. I also have found I toss more from the Fridge than I ever did.

Hope all eat well and stay cool! Have a great day.

Super Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Keybra, look into getting a small generator. I know several people who have them. I have thought about them but that is as far as I have gotten and at my age now, would not get it probably because I would not be able to start it. LOL. You can also use a generator other things.

This house does not have a pantry and that has been miserable. So many homes do not have them but I always use them like crazy.

Saturday is upon us - last night was cool - what a blessing. That does not mean today is going to be cool - nope, will still be close to 100. This humidity is doing me in however.

No big cooking done here any more - Almost overnight I went from three others in the house to just me. While I am enjoying the peace and quiet I do need some help from time to time. This getting old just popped up overnight and at times it is difficult to deal with. I do have a big watermelon in the Fridge, need to start munching on that. Now I could eat that all day long - love watermelon. Need to start thinking about what for dinner however. It has been quite an adjustment worrying about food for one after almost entire lifetime of having others in the house. LOL. Am trying to figure out just how to reduce the amount of food I prepare. Always use to cook a lot and I always did that on purpose so I would have advance meals. Now it is almost a waste to do that. Just the other day I had to toss one thing from the freezer that had been in there too long. I also have found I toss more from the Fridge than I ever did.

Hope all eat well and stay cool! Have a great day.

@Winifred   I think that is a good idea to get one that hooks up to the freezer or refrigerator. We can live without lights and tv but the food storage would be difficult.

I think they are less than  $500.

My GM has a very hard time cooking for one or two. Cutting a huge watermelon would be so difficult for her to manage so we stop bye every day to help out. She buys a lot of pre made supermarket meals which are so bad for her . She needs to eat unprocessed food but she takes the easy way. I do understand but drives me crazy. Salads, fruits, grass fed beef and lots of vegetables. 

We currently have a basement door off the kitchen and my DH will put down a floor and block off the stairs to the basement to  make a smaller pantry than the one we now have .the existing one is on the other side of the kitchen and has 6 shelves on three sides and is about 5' by 5' with a door and always full of "stuff".

Tonight for dinner we are having shrimp, broccoli and sausage over linguini.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone. winifred i so dont miss that heat and humidity. right now its 71 out and no humidity. this is how we love it. to bad i cant send you some of our refreshing air to cool you down. yestauday we had leftovers and last night we ordered chinese food and we had it today for lunch. everyone have a good weekend and eat well everyone.

Respected Contributor

Keybra, hope you get that generator. They are lifesavers.

I rarely take the easy way out when it comes to food other than I am lazy sometimes. I rarely buy prepackaged meals for myself. Always keep a couple frozen ones in the freezer but that is for others - like teens, etc who occasionally stop by and they seem to love looking in the freezer. I am a strong believer in vegetables and fruits. Sometimes my meals involve only these things - no meat. Never thought I would slacken off from meat as in my younger days was a meat and potatoes person for sure.

Got my roast cut up and now it's ready for a good stew when the weather cools off. Easy to cook and I cook it for several hours perhaps slower than I have to but it helps in making it easier to do. Now I need to start eating my watermelon - will take a big chunk of it across the street to Don - he will eat it for sure.

Was freezing this morning - have my trusty OLD Slanket around my shoulders. Anyone here remember when the Q first sold them - still in the 90s?. Well mine is from that era and it is a standby. Now never fear, the heat will be upon us very shortly - sun is slower to starting blasting. Yesterday by days end, it was quite warm but really good as very little humidity.. Today they say no humidity for some days to come. Hope it is true

Contributor

Grill  tomatoes, garlic and jalapenos for salsa, whirl with cilantro and some salt and lime juice  - then as the colder weather approaches, St. Louis ribs and sauerkraut in my IP. -  Season and brown the ribs first, then a bit of water or chicken broth on the bottom, layer your fav kraut recipe, ribs, then more kraut.  Add a few bay leaves.  Can't wait!

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. winifred. we can eat a meatless meal .were both fine sometimes if our meal has no meat. my dad though allways had to have meat in his meal. my mom would make pasta with sauce and beans and she would put a can of chili with his pasta and his chili he wanted chili with no beans in it. its been in the low 70s with no humidity, yestauday i fried 9 sliced green squash and tossed them in seasoned flour then in beaten eggs then fried them.when i was adding black pepper the top fell off so i got half a bottle of pepper in the flour so i threw it out and got new flour.we ate down stairs . anna made pasta in a cauliflower sauce and made a roast with potatoes, carrots, peas onoins. brocoli salad, mashed potatoes for 2 very fussy kids and other stuff.hope everyone has a great day and all of you eat well.