Valued Contributor

Re: whats cooking in september?

@Winifred wrote:

vabreeze, Leah and Ricky are the two little ones in Colorado - thanks so much for asking about them. I get to do a video chat once a week. I find that very difficult but better than nothing. CPS in my opinion, does NO care about children - they only look for $$. These past years have been a nightmare and the anger it creates between so many, is very unnecessary. So many think someone caused it, and it goes and goes and things some people say, sure has opened my eyes. The true sad thing in my opinion is their parents. Children having children just does not always work and sad to say the immediate grandparents this day and time are NOT always in step with right and wrong and real love. What can I say? I am their Great Great Grandmother and my age is getting to me. I can see changes with the little ones. Most I like and yet some bother me tremendously. Leah had her 4th BD on Aug 29 and Ricky turned 5 in February. He is now in Kindergarten. 

@Winifred,

I too have been wondering about the kiddos.  Glad you get to video chat with them weekly.  I know it must be hard on you without them.  I always enjoyed your stories and day-by-day happenings about all of your family and all the foods that you prepared for them.   Blessings.

Respected Contributor

vabreeze, have not ignored you on the spaghetti request. Will certainly share the recipe. The day I posted that I mailed my only copy to my brother. Easy to get him to read it to me however he and his wife took off on a motorcycle trip up north to the Redwoods. I did not know that. So when they decide to get home I will have him read it to me so I don't mess it up. I should post it exactly like it is written. Amy, who sent the recipe via mail to my mother in 1961 could be funny. Lydia had worked for her in Germany and our two military families remained very tight. Actually Amy and her husband are the reasons my family wound up in California. His family was from here and my folks came out in early 1960 as Amy was here - both her husband and my Dad had been sent back to Korea. Mother had misplaced her recipe and asked Amy to send her another copy. My "baby brother" who is on the motorcycle trip now is mentioned as he had gotten upset with Mother as he wanted some of that spaghetti and somehow in the course of moving around she had lost it. I know the general instructions, very easy, but wanted to get it done correctly. We tasted the original recipe in Germany when Lydia made it in the early 1950s, It is soooooooo yummy. OIf course, many times following that.

Our temps have really dropped. I used the AC only about an hour yesterday - at the worst time of the day. From about 5 to 6. Nights are returning back to very cold. In fact I pulled out a pair of my "winter" pajamas for last night. Do not yet have on my heavyweight normal pajamas for cold weather yet - those are sweats. They keep me warm. I REFUSE to use any heat at nights just like I REFUSE to use AC during the nights. Depends on how we were raised I guess.

WEnt to play Bunko last night up at Bob's Big Boy. Have always heard about it but had no clue what it was. Sure a good thing I was the only dummy there. Fun! Had to leave about 8:30 as they were still rolling but I was done in  Am guessing it must take about 3 hours for their sessions - not sure I can stay that long as last night I left about 8:15 and only two games were played - they play 5 games and I have no clue what is done at that point. I usually head for bed about 8 o'clock these days and I was tired - did enjoy myself however. Ate there and had a "loaded" cup of chili, garlic bread and cup of coffee. Not bad at all,

Have a great day everyone. Have had no appointments, etc following Monday this week - Unreal for sure. Going to be a great week and of course at the end of this month and right on through December have MD appointments - next week the same - no appointments. Yeah!

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. its feeling like fall down here right now and were loving it. its in the 40s now and in the 60s yestauday and windy. monday ria made chinese chicken mushroom and celery chowmain and served it over rice and lots of leftovers and tuesday made ground turkey taco seasoned with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce put in a soft taco wrap and it was baked in a small pan to form taco wrap into a bowl to pu food into both dishes were very good. and next week shes making her first chicken soup of the season. hope you all have a great day and eat well.

Honored Contributor

We are still enjoying beautiful summer weather here in southern WV.   I am absolutely loving it, although we are extremely dry to the point meteorologists are starting to throw the word “drought” around in nearly every weather forecast, which is not good.   Our grass is getting “crunchy”, and we have too many trees shedding leaves right now to be this dry.   One of the main rivers that flows thru this county is quite low; the section we can see near us is low enough you could walk on the rocks for a half mile and not worry about getting your feet wet.   At this point we have no measurable rain in sight.   

Tomorrow being trash day means today is clean out the fridge day.   Our outside dogs were pleased to have some beef gravy and sweet potatoes added to their dog food today, while the other stuff went out in the trash.   

I had ground chuck needing to be used today, and my husband suggested one of his favorites, which is chili and grilled cheese.   I was all over the easiness of that!  

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

good morning everyone. its feeling like fall down here right now and were loving it. its in the 40s now and in the 60s yestauday and windy. monday ria made chinese chicken mushroom and celery chowmain and served it over rice and lots of leftovers and tuesday made ground turkey taco seasoned with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce put in a soft taco wrap and it was baked in a small pan to form taco wrap into a bowl to pu food into both dishes were very good. and next week shes making her first chicken soup of the season. hope you all have a great day and eat well.

Oh my that weather sounds heavenly, for us here in Texas that is more like winter. 40's at night and 60's during the day.  We are not in the upper 90's today so I guess our fall is beginning.  Your menu sounds heavenly too.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

redtop. maria hasnt made chili since last winter. she has one recipe that gets sauce plus a can of coke and bakers chocolate and another one she makes with no sauce its a white chili. thats very good to.

Respected Contributor

beckyb 1012. your winter temps sounds great but your summer temps are way to hot for us down here.

Respected Contributor

vabreeze, my bro and his wife are still up North tooling around on their Harley. I guess the recipe I mailed to him is STILL sitting in the PO up there in the hills. Geesh. Wish I had known they were heading out as I would NOT have sent it to sit in the PO

Do not have a clue what is going on other than it can be quite normal. Super HOT yesterday and quite sticky. The night was chilly which  makes for good sleeping but unfortunately I lay in bed with Ditty driving me insane for three hours. Just could NOT sleep. Finally did but it sure made for a short night.

Have some errands to do - I am losing it I believe at times. Received my new handicap plaque in March - they send them out early here but not active until June. I went ooops, yesterday as I looked at my plaque and it expired in June. Cannot find the new one. Have all the paperwork in my glove box but NOT the new plaque. I know that is where I put it but I am upset now - where is it? Gotta call DMV and find out what I have to do. So stupid.I could have messed it up myself as I have been going thru papers, etc like crazy. Couple other things I cannot find - Hope I did not shred it. LOL.

My cooking has been at a minimum but am eating well - just not quite enough I would guess. Last night I had those JImmy Dean sausage sandwiches and some strawberries. Tasted good to me.

Have a great day everyone

Respected Contributor

I made stew with dumplings yesterday and am making chili today.

Have a happy Autumn everyone!!

Respected Contributor

Cooking during the fall season means comfort foods like beef stew, chili, beans, etc. Today, I had a pot of great northern beans simmering on the stove. Had a bowl of beans and corn muffins for dinner.