Respected Contributor

Re: whats cooking in september?

good evening everyone. its getting muggy again and back in the 80s. we had fresh tomato pizza and salad .tonight we have leftovers from my mil from sunday. hope everyone is doing well and eatting well allso.

Valued Contributor

@Keybra wrote:

@jannabelle1  I love,love love tomatoes and mayo on bread. Today I am making Brats for dinner with Cole slaw mix (cooked) and beans. Cannot wait. 

Hi there!  I havr only posted here a few times but read often cuz I love food!  Anyway, the other day it was brought to my attention that they also make Brat patties, like a burger!  I can't wait to find them!

Super Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Keybra wrote:

@jannabelle1  I love,love love tomatoes and mayo on bread. Today I am making Brats for dinner with Cole slaw mix (cooked) and beans. Cannot wait. 

Hi there!  I havr only posted here a few times but read often cuz I love food!  Anyway, the other day it was brought to my attention that they also make Brat patties, like a burger!  I can't wait to find them!

@Warrior2022    Hi and welcome. Sorry it took so long to respond .

i had no idea about the Brat Patties. I will look for them and I will let you know when , or if,I find them. Could you do the same ?

Respected Contributor

Hey, I'm cold this morning. Brrrrr. When the weather does change out here it does it literally in a matter of hours. Only suppose to get up top about 87 today. Wow, what a change. Will not put my "summer" things up yet as it changes so quickly. Several months each year have a sad little closet full of cold and hot weather clothes - you just never know. We are NOT finished with the heat but hopefully we are finished with the humidity. NOt real sure about that either.

Am thinking about fixing black eye peas - love those things. Now that I fix way more than I can eat and I have them several times a year. Of course there will be cornbread and slided tomatoes as a go with. Sounds easy and GOOD to me.

Have a great day everyone. Davey is coming up to hep me with some outside chores late morning - actually I have to go and get him and that is good. His payment? Food and a haircut. He has to have both!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Winifred!

Hope you are doing well.  Do you hear from Leah and??? (forgot your great-great grandson's name) since they were taken to CO? Do you Skype or FaceTime them?  Hope they still remember you.  I use to enjoy hearing from you about the exploits of Stripe and Conrad.  Well, you take care and blessings to you!

VaBreeze

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

vabreeze, Leah and Ricky are the two little ones in Colorado - thanks so much for asking about them. I get to do a video chat once a week. I find that very difficult but better than nothing. CPS in my opinion, does NO care about children - they only look for $$. These past years have been a nightmare and the anger it creates between so many, is very unnecessary. So many think someone caused it, and it goes and goes and things some people say, sure has opened my eyes. The true sad thing in my opinion is their parents. Children having children just does not always work and sad to say the immediate grandparents this day and time are NOT always in step with right and wrong and real love. What can I say? I am their Great Great Grandmother and my age is getting to me. I can see changes with the little ones. Most I like and yet some bother me tremendously. Leah had her 4th BD on Aug 29 and Ricky turned 5 in February. He is now in Kindergarten. 

We got back up to 102 today - not good.

I had a bagel with cream cheese for dinner - was way too tired to do much else when it came to food . I HOPE tomorrow I can do a lot better.

Did get some weed spraying done this morning out back but that was all. Tomorrow morning MUST fill the feeders and TRY to trim around the multitude of rose bushes - not sure I can get that done. ALSO plan to fix me a decent dinner - probably spaghetti. Will fix it with carrots and celery. Say what? Years ago when we lived in Germany, there was a young lady named Lydia. She was Italian and married to either a German or American man. His name was Johnny but cannot remember what his nationality was. She worked as a housekeeper for some friends of ours and we ate her spaghetti ONCE and that did it. That spaghetti is so good -  you just never go back to our style. Got to cut those veggies real tiny however.Very easy to fix.

Thnk I will call itg a night. Hope all are well.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winifred      You do not have to give specific directions, but please tell me what goes in your spaghetti sauce. I have added carrots but never celery . Will make it as soon as I hear from you.

@Pooky1 Do Maria or Anna use celery or carrots in their sauce ? Do you have a way to make it ? Don't need a recipe just what you add .

Honored Contributor

@Keybra,

I make our spaghetti sauce from scratch using ground chuck, onions, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, sugar, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce.   

When my girls were small, I used a grinder for the onions, along with other vegetables like green peppers, carrots, celery, and zucchini.   My kids, nor my husband ever knew that thick sauce was full of things they said they hated!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi again @Winifred,

Your spagjhetti prep has inrigued me.  I found a recipe for stir-fried celery and carrots with parmigiano reggiano cheese to which I was thinking I could just add the pasta.  Do you add a tomato sauce, another type of sauce or make it without one?  If you wouldn't mind. please share how you make your spaghetti?  I've added carrots and celery when making pasta sauce but I'm left wondering if they have major roles in your dish. Thanks.

Hope that today and going forward, Southern Cal's weather is more agreeable to you.  I hate humidity and it's just a fact of life here on the East Coast.  Pray you are eating well and getting sufficient rest.  If I lived near you, I would gladly help you with the chores associated with being a homeowner and a provider to God's critters.  Sending prayers up for someone to help you,  Blessings to you,.

Where has the time gone??!!!  It seems Rickey and Leah were just a toddlef and baby not very long ago!Smiley Surprised    I hope they will never forget you as you were such a loving and vital nurturer and caregiver to them.

VaBreeze 

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. keybra. we dont put celery or carrots in our sauce. i worked in a restaurant that chef would put some carrots in a food processer and add them to his sauce. there sauce was very good. some people add a little sugar to there sauce to cut acidity and thats why restaurant put in carrots that took the place of sugar. i put alittle sugar in mine.   in my sauce i put tomato puree and cruched tomato, salt, black pepper, hot pepper, basil,sugar,fresh garlic, well i buy crushed garlic in oil, and dried parsley. i cook it for like 3 hours and i make meatballs and in them i put salt, black pepper a little hot pepper,grated cheese,parsley, garlic powder,bread crumbs and eggs and i allso put in italian sausage. meatballs and sausage i dont precook i just dropped them in hot sauce and it cooks in the sauce . it doesnt make my sauce greasy. muggy and in the 80s today. yestauday we went to my brothers and maria made ham and c'heese calzones and a desert with whipped creme, vanilla pudding , graham crackers and a chocolate sauce on top. they called it ice box cake.and on the way home we picked up taco bell. hope you all have a great rest of the weekend and eat well.