Respected Contributor

Re: whats cooking in august?

[ Edited ]

These days fly by fast don't they? Goodness me!

So did daughter get to visit with you for a spell Red Top? Sure hope so. My daughter was a trucker - not a long time but she loved it. I miss her so and also miss watching her getting in and out of that huge truck. She was only 5'1" so she had to make a lot of adjustments but did very well. She left us way too early but the memories are great.

Had a prepared meal last night. During the quarantines there have been so many organizations that are providing meals for seniors and I am so thankful. While there are times I want a home cooked meal it has worked out really great and I am very thankful to the many organizations who worry about other people. So many people I know are using these services during this difficult times - very very helpful. I had meatballs in a marvelous gravy with rice, carrots (always carrots) and cut green beans. Just perfect sizing.

Another hot day on tap but last night I had NO coolers on at all and only ceiling fans. It was heavenly and has been quite a spell since my nights were like that. I slept very well.and for the first time in a long, I did not sweat half the night. Yeah!

Hope all are doing well.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred,

Yes, we enjoyed 4 full nice, relaxed days with our daughter before she headed out again.   She enjoyed some of her favorite meals along with lots of sleep in her comfortable bed and quiet room.  

With her back on the road, my husband and I are left with a few leftovers to finish.   Tonight we will have the last of the baked beans and scalloped potatoes.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made a Japanese pancake called okonomiyaki the other day------was so tasty---kind of like a fritatta that you can use whatever protein, veggies you have leftover in it. then there are a few toppings too. Got the box mix to try it but now have most the ingredients to make it from scratch, which is like mixing up a pancake batter. 

Respected Contributor

RedTop, glad you had time for a visit with your daughter. My cooking is so very low key any more. Darn it anyway, never thought I would ever fit into a low energy routine. But it happens. I have acquired first hand knowledge of what I use to hear from my parents.. Amazing how that happens.

Temps have dropped a little bit but it is still nasty air. Still a bit toasty also - again over 100 today. But the last two nights have been really good sleeping - thank goodness for that.

Am putting some fresh collards on the stove for some cooking - I always cook those things for a good two hours or more. I remember that from my childhood. I love collards. Will have some cornbread and sliced tomatoes with them. Now that sounds good. My neighbor brought over some delicious organic tomatoes they had grown. I have bugged them for two years as I have pulled the poor me routine with them as I love fresh tomatoes. Never got any until now and I got a lot. Worth waiting for. One of my favorite foods but will never buy them in the grocery store. We do have an Aldi's and their tomatoes are tomatoes. I do not understand how anyone can eat them from a big box grocery store. Horrible. Should be good eating.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Our meal today will be baked ham, hash brown casserole, cauliflower slaw, sliced yellow tomatoes and rolls.    Chocolate sour cream pound cake for dessert.