Respected Contributor

Re: whats cooking in august?

Tonight it's pork chops with fried potatoes and sauerkraut.

Have a great week!

Frequent Contributor

I cheated big time ..... lol .... I ordered country fried steak, mash taters & green bean, dinner for 4 from Bob Evans and had it delivered.  along with cheesey potato soup, came with dinner rolls and 4 large cookies ....Since I'm alone now, I don't mind eating the same thing a few days in a row.  .... lol

I'm dealing with a handful of health issues, so I  do try to make it as easy as possible for myself, plus, this was a treat for me.Man Happy

Respected Contributor

misclassylady717, that's my kind of cheating. Sure bet it was delicious. Older I get and more fragile I cheat more and more. Oh well, more fun eating it also. Just no longer can stand over a stove for a long time. 

Weather heating up again after having some great days. Knew it would not last. By the end of this week we should be at 107 or 108. Not good at all.

For dinner will toss some veggies and chicken breasts - cut up - in the WOK. Really like food prepared in the WOK. Always tasty and very easy to fix. AND you mix just about anything together.

Have a great day everyone.

Frequent Contributor

Ok, my latest cheat days ......... lol ........ the other day I made a big pork shoulder/butt in my 6 qt crockpot.  Even thought I'm only cooking for myself now, I rather cook a larger amount and either freeze or re-invent meals.  So, had a hot meal the day I cooked it in the crockpot,, then had sandwiches a few days ..... then a while back QVC had some dry soup mixes, there were chicken nooden, a wild rice, and a hamburger soup mix, 2 of each.  I set them aside, saving the use of them (wasn't sure if I was gonna need them for recovery after a hospital procedure). ............ but I was in the mood for soup, so I took one of the hamburger soup mixes, chopped up some of the pork, and into the crockpot it went.  Yummmmmmm ...... I chopped another portion and froze for later use with the 2nd package.  I'm a soup lover, even on the hottest day, I'll still have soup.

My next cheat day, I had the fried chicken from my Publix Market.  Had it hot the day I ordered it, then I took the meat off the bones, made sandwich one day, make a fried rice dish another day.

Tonght's cheat day was, since Little Ceasers Pizza now delivers, I ordered 2 pizzas.  I had my slices tonight, and then froze the rest in individual packages for when I have the urge to have pizza.

With all my health issues, even to try to stand to make even a scramble egg,  or to toss ingredients into my crockpot or the  rice cooker, is difficult and painful.  I ended up geting a stool to keep in my kitchen, even though it is very small, so this way I can sit and do meal prep and even to wash the few dishes.

Anywayyyyyyyyy ..... these were my few cheat days......... lol

You all be safe

Honored Contributor

Rainy day here in my area of WV, so our supper was roast beef with carrots, onions and potatoes, gravy, deviled eggs, broccoli, and rolls.   

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. humidity started to break over night and should be very low today with temps in the high 80s. winifred. i feel bad for you when i see the temps your dealing with. i makes our temps not seem so bad. maria made this week corn and green sqush chowder and the other meal was marinated pork with a tomato salad and fresh italian buns. both were very good.hope everyone eats well and has a great week.

Respected Contributor

Pooky1 will gladly exchange your temps for ours. We are suppose to get up to 110 by the weekend - was so hot yesterday. and normally our nights are quite cool - not last night. 

That happens on occasion but it looks like we are in for some long days of this mess. Even the birds  are flitting probably looking for water, etc.

Fixed a fast meal last night - packaged white castle burgers and fixed some mixed veggies with butter as a go with... Really good.

Stay cool everyone - as best you can.

Trusted Contributor

Good grief, @Winifred,  I haven't even thought about White Castles for decades. At one time, having mom or dad bring home their burgers for dinner was a huge treat. My dad could eat a dozen by himself. Who can't remember that mystery meat and onion smell? 

I did manage to scrounge up some ground lamb this week. I mix it with ground beef, or even turkey, add some herbs, and make tiny meatballs, which I freeze on a tray in vacuum sealed bags. I have a recipe for a soup with kale and these mini lamb meatballs that's absolutely to die for. But it's hard to find the ground lamb, especially if I want it at a price I can actually justify. This time, I made a double batch and gave half to my daughter. 

It's almost 8pm now, but still 90 degrees at my desktop. Much cooler outside but it's always hotter in my house, darn it. We're expecting more just like this for the next week or so, and then it will get hotter. And this year, if it gets uber-hot, everyplace I might have gone for a cooldown is closed.

I will have to make do with tepid showers. I'm breaking out the waterproof mattress protectors and vacuuming the dust off all my fans and freezing extra ice cubes. Also, I've laid in a supply of frozen potstickers--not from Q because they charge too much--and laundered all my thinnest pajamas. When it gets over a hundred indoors, I have to turn my computer off to keep it from overheating, so I figure extra naps are okay for me, too. Another few weeks to the end of September and the first cooler temps.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get some stuff cooked or at least prepped and planned in advance. I mean, you can only eat cheese and crackers so many meals, amirite?

Cheers, everyone. Love reading about your cooking!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I am SO ready for a GIANT pot of green beans!!!

@ECBG 

Our beans have started to come in, and I'm blanching and freezing up a storm. Love green beans. 

Respected Contributor

Sick of this heat! Actually, the humidity is worse to cope with. Did brats on the grill. Potato salad; cheated a bit on that by using Simply Potatoes Cubes. No need to cook & cut up potatoes. Just cook the packaged ones, add minced onions & celery, hard cooked eggs, mayo, salt & pepper. For dessert fruit salad. A friend sent over a huge container of blackberries from his garden. I cut up some nectarines & cantaloupe & watermelon. Tossed in blueberries. I sure love summer fruit! Hate when it goes away. Everyone have a good weekend! Eat well & stay safe! 😷