Honored Contributor

Re: whats cooking at your house this may?

@hellie jo wrote:

@mousiegirl Happy Birthday to your DH.After eatimg a lot this week-end will only have some kind of soup tonight.Enjoy the week.

@hellie jo   Thank you. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. cool in the 50s and cloudy and showers and drizzel today. maria made today creamy garlic chicken pasta. very good. the mood struck me to buy some rhubarb on friday so i made strawberry rhubard coffee cake and it was excellent. i sent a peice to anna and to marias aunt and uncle. her aunt mentioned strawberry rhubard pie several times so i bought more and made her a strawberry rhubarb pie and i decided to try strawberry rhubarb jelly. i just finished it a little while ago. maria put it in jars for me and wiped them to. i said give your aunt a jar of jelly to.her uncle has cancer and isnt doing well. doctor told them he has only to june left.hope everyone has a great day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1 wrote:

good evening everyone. cool in the 50s and cloudy and showers and drizzel today. maria made today creamy garlic chicken pasta. very good. the mood struck me to buy some rhubarb on friday so i made strawberry rhubard coffee cake and it was excellent. i sent a peice to anna and to marias aunt and uncle. her aunt mentioned strawberry rhubard pie several times so i bought more and made her a strawberry rhubarb pie and i decided to try strawberry rhubarb jelly. i just finished it a little while ago. maria put it in jars for me and wiped them to. i said give your aunt a jar of jelly to.her uncle has cancer and isnt doing well. doctor told them he has only to june left.hope everyone has a great day.

@Pooky1   I made rhubarb chutney once, delicious.  When I was younger, I was on a canning frenzy, made all sorts of chutneys, preserves, jams, even mincemeat.  Now, all I would do would be to can apricots if I ever get enough. A woman I knew a long time ago had an old apricot tree in the yard of the house she just rented, so a friend of hers went to her house and helped her can the apricots.  Whenever I would visit her, she would give me a large jar, and boy did I ever feast on those, lol, ice cold from the frig.  I suppose I could break down and buy some, but they are expensive, rather just eat them as is. 

DH had a client who would give him a large sack of apricots from his trees for me, I did make preserves but mostly ate them as is.

Respected Contributor

Strawberry Rhubarb Cake? Sounds mighty good to me. Pooky1 I have often said I wished I lived closer to you and yours as you always have some good eating there. LOL.

Going to be 87 or so today. While I am tired of the cooler weather I am not real sure I am ready for the high 80s already - that means pretty soon we will be sporting 20 and 30 degree higher weather. Do not think I have ever gotten use to a temperature in one day going up 30 or more degrees but in a few more weeks that will start happening.. Ugh!

AS I have mentioned the heavy duty cooking has pretty much stopped in my house. Getting older and older and the health going down, well it is not a good combo. Still get a few things done however. I need to fix a pot roast with all the trimmings and then freeze it in several containers for the summer months ahead of us.

Last night I had pizza which I shared with my 18 month old great great grand Anthony. He is a hoot. The two little ones which use to live with me are doing fine in Colorado but I surely miss them. Their grandma there sends me videos each week - that helps.

Hope all have a great day.!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tonight was pork rib eyes with asparagus, and leftover potato salad for DH.

It's raining!  Cannot believe this, wish it would rain periodically throughout the hot months, but never does.  It is supposed to keep rainig for days, but it is not a heavy rain in this area, just enough to keep us inside.

Honored Contributor

Not much is being cooked in my house this month.   

Spent Mothers Day at the hospital with my husband; early stage pneumonia and cellulitis in his leg.   He’s home and doing okay, but overall, things are not as good as we’d like.   Just can’t seem to catch a break.   

Have been working to empty the fridge since tomorrow is trash day.  My husbands appetite is not what it was, so I just wait until he decides what he’s hungry for, which is usually something like French toast, grilled cheese, a salad, fried potatoes, a baked potato, etc.    Been 10+ days since I actually cooked a full meal.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Not much is being cooked in my house this month.   

Spent Mothers Day at the hospital with my husband; early stage pneumonia and cellulitis in his leg.   He’s home and doing okay, but overall, things are not as good as we’d like.   Just can’t seem to catch a break.   

Have been working to empty the fridge since tomorrow is trash day.  My husbands appetite is not what it was, so I just wait until he decides what he’s hungry for, which is usually something like French toast, grilled cheese, a salad, fried potatoes, a baked potato, etc.    Been 10+ days since I actually cooked a full meal.   

@RedTop   So sorry there has been a set-back, so difficult when illness strikes.

For years, whenever I didn't feel like cooking, DH would make grilled cheese on French bread slices, nice and crispy, and DD and I would inhale them, lol.  His had a lot of butter, but when I have made them, not so much butter, probably why his were so yummy.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop  I am so sorry to hear of your husbands set back.Praying that things will start looking up again for him.You take such good care of him.Hope you have a better week-end and get some rest.

Respected Contributor

Red Top, hope your hubby is doing better each day now. You too, need to take it as easy as possible.

Guess I had best fix something decent for dinner - may be time for the pot roast and then can can freeze a lot of it. I love those meals. I have everything I need and a young man is here helping me with some chores so that would work out just great.

Hope all have a super good day!

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. its been a real nice weekend .bright and sunny and today should be nice to. maybe a few showers tonight. yestauday anna cooked fettacini pasta with zucini shimp and a light sauce. rabbi.more then that but not as much as usual.it was just the 3 of us.it was very good.we allready have a grounghog eatting garden plants. some before we even planted stuff was getting eaten. were going to put out a trap out to catch it or them.everyone have a great rest of the weekend.