Honored Contributor

Re: whats cooking at your house this may?

Yesterday was ham, potato salad, asparagus, and stuffed eggs.  I ate a ham sandwich on 21 grain bread with Spring greens for breakfast this morning.  when there is ham around, I can't stay out of it, lol.  

Big gardening day yesterday getting all pots ready for the tons of basil I grow for the freezer.  There are flowers on the tomato plants now.  I planted eggplant seeds the other day, probably way too late, but will see what happens.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. mousiegirl you have a nice long growing season. up here we have a short growing season. most we will be able to plant in a couple we. carrot seeds i can plant now. we put out cow manure out today . we have a guy coming tomorrow to rototill garden. it cleared up this afternoon after a few days of rain. maria made tuscan macaroni and cheese. chicken, sun dried tomatoes in oil, mazzarella cheese, parm cheese,2 boxes of rigatoni pasta and chicken broth and not sure what else. it was super good. hope everyone has a great week.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday was cold and windy, so I looked in the freezer hoping there was one more container of turkey soup, and I found it, so glad because I wasn't feeling great and did not want to cook.  I also had some leftover rice so added that, which made DH happy, he loves rice, but when I first mentioned soup, he wasn't thrilled, though he always loves it once he begins eating.  I may eat what is left of it for breakfast this morning as the weather is still cool.

@Pooky1  DH would love the pasta you described.  For decades, I made all sorts of pasta sauces and ingredients without sauce, now I have become lazy, and stick to a few, but I know DH years for those again.

Tonight may be fried fish and roasted zucchini, or pasta with the zucchini.  A critter is nibbling on the strawberries so will have to put a wire cage over each plant, each are in individual clay pots.  No apricots on the tree this year, don't know why unless I didn't prune early enough, so disappointed.

The heavy rainy season this winter was so good for plants.  Some that hardly bloomed last year, lilacs and a huge heirloom climbing rose that is also very wide and full with only a few long branches clinging to a nearby Toyon is loaded with white blooms, right across from the kitchen window on a slope, gorgeous.  I wish we had such rain every year, used to every year as I was growing up, but now we know sooner or later, the draught will return, horrible when that happens.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday my lunch was a great piece of watermelon - lots of it left in the 
Fridge and I am by myself. Hope it does not go to waste. Probably will not.

Had my car In Toyota most of the day yesterday. They fixed a lot of things and while it was pricey am glad they did a thorough check on that car. It is so quiet inside I can actually hear the radio and also talk to someone - been really hard to do for a long time. They replaced inside filter, engine filter, rear brakes, wheel bearings and a couple more things. Yippee!!

Will probably have more watermelon today and somewhere along the line I need to cook something out of the freezer. Even in between kids living with me and there were times I lived alone - loved it - I always had a freezer. Even though I took a lot out last week to take to Kerry who has watched Ricky and Leah for me a lot, I took up some stuff to her. She is helping again with Anthony. No, I do not watch him - I simply cannot do it. Anthony is Tessa's youngest. Am praying she gets all her act together. Davey is with her and what a disappointment in him. Still praying he graduates in about a month. He is messing up as he has ignored a job he would have gotten in a heartbeat. Just do not understand some of the younger generation these days.

Bought a package the other day of the little hot dogs, aka Pigs in a Blanket, and have been munching on them also from time to time. Love those things. Was not aware you could buy them already put together, just put them in the microwave or oven - real easy.

Freezing here this morning - yesterday was very chilly and we had sprinkles from time to time. Hope all are doing well -  keep eating good everyone

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Using some of my leftover meat sauce, I made a sort of Pasta ******ioli last night and had with Bread & Parmigiano Reggiano.  

Sautéed minced shallot, celery, and carrot; half can of cut-up tomatoes; beef stock (made with tsp. of beef stock & 2.5 cups boiling water);  2 big spoons of the meat sauce (about 1 - 1.5 cups); 

1 can drained light red kidney beans; about a third cup ditalini. 

Bay leaf; dried summer savory and marjoram; fresh basil; salt and black pepper. 

I have some ham I need to use up so, I think I am going to make scalloped potatoes with ham and lots of onion this evening.  Another cool, drizzly day in SoCal so, a good day to use the oven. 

Edited to laugh at the name F-a- g-i-o-l-i

getting asterisked out!  

Respected Contributor

Had roast beef last night so will make a hash with leftovers tonight.Will also make a green salad.It rained this morning,now it is cloudy.Enjoy and have a good day all.

Trusted Contributor

@hellie jo 

Yum! Both nights sound delicious. 

Respected Contributor

No big eating at my house today.. Our evening is a tad warm and I do NOT like that. Sigh. Yesterday it was cold and wet. Somebody messed up again I guess.

Actually I had a Philly Cheese sandwich with fried zucchini - now that was yummy,

Hope all had a super good day

Honored Contributor

Last night, I char grilled Rastelli (24) 5.3-oz Black Angus Blended Beef Burgers, delicious, flavorful and juicy, along with salad.

DH bought wood to build a boxed bed for pole beans as the gophers and moles are creating havoc with the earth.

I may have mentioned that I bought what I thought was a set of three orange bell pepper plants at Costco, but when I removed the first to plant, there were two in the pot, and also two in each of the other pots, so six plants.  If they bear fruit, I will have plenty for the freezer in addition for stuffing, frying, etc.

I couldn't believe my ears last night listening to the weather forecast, two days of rain this week, I doubt it will be real rain in this area, but just as I thought the weather was becoming warmer, it is now dropping.  Yesterday was beautiful, but I chose not to garden except for watering, so will have to get outside today before it gets cooler.

DH's birthday is this week so will have to leave my cave and go out and buy a small chocolate fudge cake, couldn't make it better myself, and have been buying this for his birthdays for decades.

Enjoy the week.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl Happy Birthday to your DH.After eatimg a lot this week-end will only have some kind of soup tonight.Enjoy the week.