Respected Contributor

I have one, but only because I couldn't get the oven features (convection, double oven) without it, only the cheapest, most basic ovens come with open burners any more.  I hate it, but we don't have natural gas available where we live, so I have no choice in the matter.  If we could move, one requirement would be natural gas for the stovetop, water heater and furnace, for sure!!!

Honored Contributor

I've had one for the last thirteen years.  Looks like new.  When it dies, I'll get another.

Respected Contributor

I've had both, and I much prefer the old-fashioned coils.  I had a black cooktop and had to dust it every day if I didn't use it.  Spills were a pain to clean, and I had one mark that I could never completely remove.  With coils, you just lift the coil and swipe out the aluminum drip pan when needed.  Or you can wash them in the sink or dishwasher or even buy new ones when needed.  No need to worry about scratching the top if a skillet is slid on it.

Esteemed Contributor

I love my black glass cooktop.  I actually use it for additional counter space when I need it.  I have a couple fairly thick drying pads for use on my granite countertop, and I simply put one on top of my stove for extra counter space when I need it.

I will add that I am doing so much more cooking in my oven -

just loving oven roasted veggies, fish, and chicken.  

Honored Contributor

As electric stoves go I think they are the easiest to keep clean.  (Mine were black, never had a white one so I don't know about those.)

These days I have propane which requires some effort to maintain.  But it is great for cooking.

Honored Contributor

Re: the glass top stove

[ Edited ]

I have one and love it---none of those things OP mentioned about them, has happened to me or mine. So easy to clean and you can use it to set hot stuff on when needed---I use Bon Ami to scrub the burned on stuff off and it is good to go. I have lights that tell me that a burner is on or has been on. Have had this stove 20 years now.  Mine is a black top so you can't really see any discoloration around the burner like on a white top. I do make sure to scrub those frequently to prevent that from happening.  But I would consider a gas stove---just because i've never cooked on one.

Honored Contributor

I've told this story before, but here goes.  I once was making strawberry jam and tipped a pint jar of just filled jam over on my flat top.  Of course I wasn't happy to waste all that work, but the cleanup wasn't that bad as the edges held the mess.  I shudder to think of this much jam being spilled onto a stove with coil burners.  I'm on my third flat top due to moving and all I can suggest is to not get a white one unless you are meticulous.  

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

I've had both, and I much prefer the old-fashioned coils.  I had a black cooktop and had to dust it every day if I didn't use it.  Spills were a pain to clean, and I had one mark that I could never completely remove.  With coils, you just lift the coil and swipe out the aluminum drip pan when needed.  Or you can wash them in the sink or dishwasher or even buy new ones when needed.  No need to worry about scratching the top if a skillet is slid on it.

I'm glad you mentioned this as nobody else has.  I have a glass top stove that has been heavily used for over 15 years and has one large mar and two smaller that won't come off, they are below the top of the glass.  One I know was from a boil-over, the others I don't know but I clean up after every cooking event.  All burners work perfectly and it is still easy to keep clean but the mars on it are reminders that I'm a cook and apparently this particular stove was built for someone who goes out for dinner a lot.

Esme, I too wonder why you ask if you have no interest in owning one of these.  If I don't replace it with a gas stove, I'll get another smooth top but one hopefully of higher durability.

Respected Contributor

Re: the glass top stove

[ Edited ]

They're very sturdy and resistant to breakage and scratching. As for inadvertently burning something, I don't feel the glass surface has more of a risk for this than the traditional burners do. Just like my old stovetop, there's a light that comes on whenever a burner is activated. The knobs are way in the back and they need me to turn them, they're not so loose they just turn on by themselves if I reach across them.

The surface is easy to clean and nothing drops under a burner, which is nice.

I clean mine with a sponge, dish soap, and baking soda and it's easy.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I don’t have one, I don’t want one. I don’t see the attraction. For me it would be one more thing to worry about. Scratching it, cracking it, inadvertently burning something because I forgot or didn’t realize a burner was on. 

Do/did you have one, and why or why not?

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

@esmerelda 

Every negative you mention is a non-issue in reality. I've had a glass top stove top and really loved it. I'm a clean fanatic and it was so very easy to keep clean. Just wipe and you're done. Never had to worry about scratching or cracking it. Who does anyway? I now have a gas top range and like it alright but it requires a lot of cleaning. Yuck. 

"Pure Michigan"