Honored Contributor

I just got one a year ago and my first impression was that everything cooks so much faster.

I burned so many things in the beginning and I still overcook eggs a lot.

It's easy to clean.

I am concerned about dropping something on it, so I purchased a wood board that goes on top while it;s not in use.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I would much prefer to have a gas stove but that is not possible in my condo.  For the amount of cooking I do--LOL!!--it doesn't matter that much.  DH is in charge of keeping it clean and the positive is that there is no open flame.

Respected Contributor

Re: the glass top stove

[ Edited ]

I like the looks of them, and they are fully functional.  I did not know how hard they are to clean until after I got it.

I am going to try that cerama bryte cleaner suggested up thread.  THX!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

When my glass top stove needed replacing about 5 years ago I got another one because I like it so much. Mine has a frame around the glass top, like a frame would be around a photo. I don't understand why people have a tough time cleaning them. Even burned on food for me is easy to clean off. I use Weiman Glass Cook Top Heavy Duty Cleaner & Polish and paper towels. For really stubborn buned on stuff that cleaner and something like a dobie pad and a little elbow grease and it's gone. 

Respected Contributor

The last three stoves i have had were glass top .. i love them and

would not have anything else...

My one regret is I can't use a caste iron pot for pot roast like my

father in law used to do for the most delicious pot roast .....

Respected Contributor

All electric house and glass top is much better, just after it cools clean it soon. Oh remember those coils & drip pans, I replaced so many drip pans then got mad and just wrap it up with aluminum foil, when time came for new oven then glass was the right choice for me. 

Honored Contributor

I have an electric Jenn-Air glass stove top.  It sits in an island and is vented to the outside.

I like it.  It came with a grill and some other stuff I've never used.

Jenn-Air are great products.  I have a Jenn-Air dishwasher, microwave and oven combination.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  One thing I'll warn you though.

So when we had to buy new everything because lightning hit our roof back in 2001, we'd had every color kitchen under the sun. 

My late husband designed our house, picked the furniter, you name it.  I find it all boring.

Anyway, he decided we should go back to all white appliances (sink, oven, everything).

So he was going to get a Jenn-Air white electric cooking top.

The sales guy said that we should get a black one.  He said that eventually tiny cracks (invisible to the black color) would form on the burners.  He said people have come back in complaining.

We went on and got the black top and it looks great.

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee 

I just use powdered Bar Keeper's Friend, a Sponge Daddy and water.  Works like a charm every time!  Remember, the wetter a Sponge Daddy gets the softer it gets, so if you need to scrub something that is hard to get off make sure the Sponge Daddy is just damp and it will have stronger scrub power.  This is a very economical, easy way to keep it clean. Hope this helps.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I've had two ranges with glass cooktops over 25 years, and it's my favorite surface.

Every type of cooktop has plusses and minuses. It depends on what features you like. 

I like the sleek appearance (my kitchen is part of a greatroom), and ease of cleaning of glass. I also like that I can use the surface to serve from - it's like extra counter space.

I have to explain to visiting relatives not to drag pans around the cooktop, or bang skillets on the glass to mix up ingredients. All of my relatives love to cook!

Esteemed Contributor

I've had glass top stoves for years and wouldn't have anything else. I've never cracked the top - it's much stronger than you'd think. And, cleanup is not at all difficult. I use Bio-cleaner and it works great. I've never been one to bang around pots and pans on my stove, so that isn't an issue for me. If you don't want one and don't see the attraction, then why are you asking? Use whatever you want!