Esteemed Contributor

I don’t have one, I don’t want one. I don’t see the attraction. For me it would be one more thing to worry about. Scratching it, cracking it, inadvertently burning something because I forgot or didn’t realize a burner was on. 

Do/did you have one, and why or why not?

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

Re: the glass top stove

[ Edited ]

I have a glass cooktop and prefer it to metal burners.  It is much easier to keep clean, I like having a totally flat surface and I find it more visually appealing than metal burners or grates.  I actually prefer cooking with gas, but since that was not an option this time I would rather have glass top verses metal burners.  It is all just a matter of preference - no right or wrong way...just a matter of personal choice.  I have had mine for 22 years and it is not scratched, stained or damaged in any way.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Re: the glass top stove

[ Edited ]

I have a glass top stove and am very happy with it.  The stovetop is much easier to keep clean; if something boils over, the mess is just right there on top, not in the drip pans, or under them.   I hated cleaning the coil stove eyes and the drip pans after a boil over.  

The biggest issue for me with the glass stovetop is that a few of my skillets don’t sit flat and stable on the cook unit.

I do have some very minor scratches on my stove because my family does not understand having to completely pick up the pot or skillet when removing from the heat.  

There is a light that comes on when the cooktop is in use, so it’s not like the stove is on without you knowing it.   

I would not be interested in going back to the stoves with coil heating elements.   

Respected Contributor

I have a glass top stove and I really like it.   I've had mine for at least 12 years and it's really not that difficult to maintain.   I use the Cerama Bryte Cooktop Cleaner.   If I have a difficult spot to remove I use the scrapper and little sponge that goes along with the CB cleaner.  

Now I admit I don't do a ton of cooking on the range top so my stove still looks good.  I suppose if a person used the stove top heavily it might show signs of wear a little more quickly.    I've not had any problem with it scratching or cracking.  

You do have to be mindful of leaving the burner on when you remove a pan.  The back of my range has a red light to signal that the burner is still on but if you are in a hurry and forget to notice it you could leave it on.   I'm very careful about always checking.  

Even with the problems that could arise with a glass top stove I would never go back to the other kind.   I always hated cleaning those little burner pans.

Honored Contributor

I like mine because I'm really short on counter space.  I don't use the stove a lot so it comes I'm handy as workspace.  It's 11 years old and doesn't have a mark on it.  Looks brand-new.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I had a white one and it almost drove me crazy.  Also learned the hard way that they can be cracked by putting a hot lid down handle up.  There's a fine mess.

Honored Contributor

Like another poster, I love not having to clean those metal rings.  My little window scraper and I do very well. 

A metal burner can be slightly on and go undetected just as well.  Glass tops have an indicator light.

Respected Contributor

I used to have a glass-top stove and got it in the hope of easier cleaning but actually found it more of a pain to clean.  So many spills wouldn't just wipe clean and had to get a special cleaner to use on it.

Honored Contributor

Okay. 

i had one and liked it. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer gas cooking, but that is not an option.  I have a glass top.  I prefer it over the coils.  When I had a coil range top, any liquid from a boil over, pasta crumbs and dust would get under them. And I would have to lift the coils and stick my hand under them and feel around and try to clean.  That got old quick.

Yes, my stove top has a few scratches.  That 's because I use it a lot.  It still looks better And is cleaner than the old electric coil stove.  I would never go back.

I seem to have to replace my range about every 10 years or so, so if they come out with something better, I will check it out then.