Respected Contributor

I have one and like mine

Contributor

From reading all the responses, I guess I am in the minority. I have one and I hate it.  I don't like the way it heats up and it shows every speck of dust.  I did get a cover for it from Etsy and it does give me some extra work space.  I don't ever want another glass top.

Frequent Contributor

I have had a glass top for over 15 years & never had a bit of trouble with it.  There isn't a scratch to be seen & I cook & bake all the time.  I am forever taking cookie sheets right from the oven & place it on  the stove top without a problem.  The hardest  thing to remember is not to wipe up a spill when it happens.  Wait for the stovetop to cool.  I use a Scrub Daddy to clean it or I use a paste cleaner that QVC sells.

Honored Contributor

I have a gas stove and have no interest in going electric.

What I wonder - so many people said it was easy to clean. But when I watch shows like Hoarders it seems every stove that has a glass top stove there are stains that don't seem to go away. I understand that cleaning was not done and was why it looks so bad. But can't bad stains be cleaned?

Besides I can't seem to break my husband of the habit of using steel wool pads to clean. He has ruined many Corning dishes and my gas stove finish by cleaning with Brillo pads. I would hate to see a glass top after he got through "cleaning".

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I have a gas stove and have no interest in going electric.

What I wonder - so many people said it was easy to clean. But when I watch shows like Hoarders it seems every stove that has a glass top stove there are stains that don't seem to go away. I understand that cleaning was not done and was why it looks so bad. But can't bad stains be cleaned?

Besides I can't seem to break my husband of the habit of using steel wool pads to clean. He has ruined many Corning dishes and my gas stove finish by cleaning with Brillo pads. I would hate to see a glass top after he got through "cleaning".

You don't want to mix glass tops with Brillo, that's for sure. 

I've seen those cooktops that haven't been cleaned in years, and a white cloudy film forms that can't be completely removed. I assume it's from grease and food cooked onto the top over and over. The key is to clean up spills and burned on food, and not let them sit for weeks or months.

The last time we replaced a stove with a glass cooktop, the stove was about 20 years old. The oven's heating coil caught fire and melted due to an electrical problem. The glass cooktop still looked great.