Honored Contributor

tell me about sous vide method of cooking

I get daily sales messages from AMZ and today I was sent a notice that Instant Pot now has a sous vide stick and it is priced at $59.99. So I was wondering if anyone has one of these and how do you use it and with what? I know I can google it but like personal experience too. 

Respected Contributor

Re: tell me about sous vide method of cooking

@wagirl  I did try the stick a few years ago, whatever I made, turned out great, but I returned it and bought the sous vide water oven instead.

But the cooking results are the same.  You basically put whatever you want to cook in air tight plastic bag (I like to use my foodsaver), submerge the pouch in water.  The cooking is done by using a very low temperature setting - there are charts for various different foods -  set the appropriate time and walk away.

For example, I have made a 3.5 lb chuck roast by program the thing using  138 degrees and let it work it's magic for about 36 hours (you can go away for a couple of days).  When done, the chuck roast has great flavor and is the most tender meat (like filet mignon) you have ever had.

Anyway, if you are interested, you should read up on it.

Honored Contributor

Sous vide cooking essentially just uses whatever internal temperature you want the food to reach to cook the food over a very long period of time. Normal cooking typically uses a much higher temp (300+ degrees) to cook food, but cooks it quickly. To get the center of the food heated to the right temp, the outer parts get overheated/over cooked as it takes time to heat the center. Sous vide simply heats the whole food at the finished temp so it can't overcook, even if left on for days. Sous vide food typically doesn't brown or form a crust, but a quick sear in a very hot pan/grill can give you that finish if desired.

Many steak house use a similar method with a low oven (around or under 200 degrees) holding steaks destined to be more done (not rare or medium rare, but medium done to well done) to heat the center of the steak to the desired doneness over a long period then sear it for presentation. If you toss a cold steak into a hot pan/grill and cook it until it's well done at the center, the outside will be very tough. Slowly, gently heating the interior to the desired doneness then searing the outside gives you a well done, but still tender steak.

It's a good way to cook food, kind of like a really slow, slow cooker. As long as you follow the proper guidelines, and allow at least the minimal time (don't forget you can't overcook food using this method) you can't go too far wrong. Vacuum sealing the food takes out any air that could insulate the food and slow down the already slow cooking process.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!

I have been cooking sous vide for about two years. It is hands down our favorite way to cook....protein especially. It's a little scary at first, because you are actually cooking meat in hot water...What? Once you understand and get used to the method, you will love it. Start out with something simple like boneless, skinless chicken breast. You can vacuum seal the bag or use a Ziploc FREEZER (not storage) bags. If you use the Ziploc bags, you need to use the water displacement method (check out youtube video on method....it's very simple). I always sous vide chicken breasts for 2 hours at 146 degrees. You will see it written: 146/2. If you google, you will get different times and temps. Just remember, the temperature is the doneness and the length of time that you cook it, is the tenderness/texture. Read everything that you can find about sous vide before getting started and don't let anything scare you. I have every method of cooking that is known to man, and sous vide is my very favorite! You drop the package in the water and walk away. You don't have to worry about it burning, or being over-done or under-done. It is perfect every time and if the time is up, and you're not ready, leave it alone. It will not get any more done, it will only get more tender! When the meat is done, take it out of the bag, dry with paper towels (realize that the meat will not have any color); have a pan or grill pan or grill screaming hot; place the dried meat on the hot pan for about 30 secs, just long enough to caramelize each side and you're done!! It's that easy and more delicious than you can even begin to imagine! I have an online recipe file on my computer. I actually have a file specifically for sous vide. Trust me, you will love it!

Respected Contributor

@Squashbucket   Wow!  That sounds wonderful.  You might just have made a convert.  I so enjoy cooking and love learning new techniques, seasoning combinations, etc.