Honored Contributor

Re: sous vide/blue jean chef cookbook

@CLEM did you see the presentation?  What did you think?  I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation and think that's a great price for everything you get.  I was so jealous of those soft boiled eggs . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe  Yes, I did see the presentation and the eggs were absolutely looking great.  Last year, when I had a sous vide water oven, I did make those famous Starbucks egg dishes in small Mason jars and they were really very good.  The problem is that I couldn't just eat one.  I ate 3 at a time.   I will probably get the Sous Vide water oven at some point.

Trusted Contributor

@CLEM - The TSV for Wednesday will be the Cooks Essential 3.4 qt. Air Fryer in colors with accessories for $69.

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL  Thanks for the info.   I had an air fryer for a few months, but I hardly ever used it so I gave it to a friend who loves it and uses it every day.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all for the info.  I went on-line and watched Meredith's presentation.  The eggs sold me on the method!

Now, what's all this about a sous vide oven?

Esteemed Contributor

The eggs almost sold me.  

Cleaning and reusing the bags (they are reuseable, right?)...a task I've never enjoyed.

I checked her website for cooking times.  Lots of variation.  A thing could cook for 1 to 6 hours.  How do you know when it's done?  Assume if you want medium you take it out after 3 hours?

I could wait 45 minutes I guess for a poached egg.  If I could see a recipe for the "egg bites" that alone might convince me to get it.  Because that might be how I'd use it most often.  Except for breakfast, when I'm not ready to eat for an hour or more anyway, I don't want hour-long prep time for meals.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@esmerelda  This cooking method works differently.  It's based on temperature rather than cooking time.  You can cook a piece of fish for 90 hours and it will still be perfect.  You have to get a cooking chart for all the different foods.   Let's say the chart says to cook a steak for 50 minutes on 147 F. (I made up time and temp.)  It will be cooked to to perfection after 50 minutes.  You can set it up to cook before you go to work, put in the steak when the temp comes up to 147 F, and let it cook away until you get home from work 9 hours later.  Your steak will be perfect.  Take it out and brown it in a pan for 30 secs. on each side.   Best steak you will ever eat.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda  Here is the recipe for the eggs I made.   I used small Mason Jars  from Amazon  (4 oz where the lid comes in 2 pieces).

Sous Vide Eggs

6 eggs

1/2 cup grated gruyere

1/4 cup neufchatel/cream cheese/dairy free cream cheese option

1/4 tsp salt

3 slices cooked bacon, cut in halves

Extra equipment:  6 4-oz/125 ml canning jars with 2-part screw-on lids

Set the cooker for 172 F/77.8 C

In a blender or food processor, combine eggs, cheeses, and salt until smooth.

Place your jars on a work surface and put a half slice of bacon into the bottom of each one.

Divide the egg/cheese mix evenly among the jars.

Attach two-part lids and close to fingertip tightness.  This means using only your fingertips to screw on the ring.  If they are too tight, the air pressure within will not be able to release and the jars will shatter on the bath.  Once closed, submerge the jars in the water bath and set your timer for 1 hour.

Remove from the bath and enjoy straight from the jar if desired.  You can also slide a butter knife around the edge, pushing gently inwards as you do so to loosen the base.  Invert jar onto heat-safe surface and either sear with a torch or place under a broiler for a few minutes for color.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEMThanks for the egg recipe and the explanation of cooking times.

So...I take from what you say that if the instructions say 150 degrees for 1 to 5 hours, the food will be done in one hour and ruined if I leave it for more than 5.  Do I understand that correctly?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@CLEMThanks for the egg recipe and the explanation of cooking times.

So...I take from what you say that if the instructions say 150 degrees for 1 to 5 hours, the food will be done in one hour and ruined if I leave it for more than 5.  Do I understand that correctly?

No, as far as I know you can leave it in as long as the temperature stays that way.  It would not be ruined.

I think you should download Meredith's Kindle book.  She is good at explaining things.  It's only 99 cents.  She may have other tips on her website.