Esteemed Contributor

shortage of mexican vanilla or what?

I always use Mexican vanilla in my cooking. It is real vanilla and not artificial. I probaby started using it from reading here, from some of you. I was always able to get it at Wal Mart, (the Molina brand) but they dont' seem to be carrying it anymore. Local TJMaxx also had it, now my local one does not, yesterday we went to a larger Homegoods store and they had  4 smaller bottles for 11.99. I bought them all, 2 for my kids and one for my mom. I know it didn't use to be this expensive.

Does anyone know what is going on? There is a Mexican market a few towns over and I guess I may try going there in the future to see if they may have it.

Honored Contributor

Re: shortage of mexican vanilla or what?

This has been going on for a couple of years now.   

Most of the vanilla comes from Madagascar & the crop was lost a couple of years ago

Not sure why Mexican vanilla is scarce.

I buy it when I see it, no matter the price, whether I need it or not

Contributor

I was in Mexico earlier this year and bought a very large bottle of vanilla.  It looks like about 4 cups!  If you live anywhere near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I would be glad to give some to you!

Trusted Contributor

This doesn't really answer your question but I make my own vanilla with vodka and vanilla beans.. you can google the recipe.. Takes time so plan ahead. And the beans are expensive. I have given it as gifts and it's much appreciated.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mexico's orchid vanilla has been undergoing a bit of a revival. Cook's magazine addressed this in a VERY interesting article.  Here's the jest of what happened, but you might like to read the entire article. Easy to find.  

Several factors were involved, but "Mexico destroyed its own reputation for quality vanilla by allowing rampant mislabelling of artificial vanillas as pure. Most vanilla extracts sold in Mexico are still artificial. Unwitting tourists who bring a bottle home often are buying not only fake vanilla, but also, by the FDA’s reckoning, cancer-causing ingredients, supplies."  

Looks like they've been striving to be authentic in the last few years, realizing if they did, they would compete in pricing with Madagascar vanilla.  So, the price of Mexican vanilla has gone up.  But as late as 2018, they still had bad product, too.  How is anyone to know what they're really getting, at this point.  

Honored Contributor

At one time, many people hesitated to buy Mexican vanilla because it was know to be diluted with toxic ingredients.  When bought, there was no way of telling what was in it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

There must be a vanilla bean shortage period. I was in Sams Club yesterday and needed vanilla. I don’t use the imitation vanilla but may have to convert. An 8 oz bottle of McCormick Pure Vanilla was 19.99. I had to actually check the price sticker on the shelf to make sure it was the vanilla.  Needless to say it sat there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

There must be a vanilla bean shortage period. I was in Sams Club yesterday and needed vanilla. I don’t use the imitation vanilla but may have to convert. An 8 oz bottle of McCormick Pure Vanilla was 19.99. I had to actually check the price sticker on the shelf to make sure it was the vanilla.  Needless to say it sat there. 

Me and my dh were in there yesterday too. I saw that! I couldn't believe it. I didn't get any either.

Esteemed Contributor

@LAPG wrote:

I was in Mexico earlier this year and bought a very large bottle of vanilla.  It looks like about 4 cups!  If you live anywhere near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I would be glad to give some to you!

You are a sweetheart! I am in Arkansas, unfortunately. But, that is so sweet and generous of you. Thank you for being so generous with a stranger.

I hope you had a great time in Mexico!

Esteemed Contributor

@violet runner wrote:

This doesn't really answer your question but I make my own vanilla with vodka and vanilla beans.. you can google the recipe.. Takes time so plan ahead. And the beans are expensive. I have given it as gifts and it's much appreciated.

At this rate, I am going to have to try it. Thanks for the idea.