Trusted Contributor

Re: "Upgraded Aldi stores" reshaping prices, choices, bargains

We just got an Aldi in our town last November.  It was packed when it opened as we don't have a lot of real grocery shopping options in our town.

I still shop there weekly, not necessarily for a full grocery trip but if I know of a few things I need I can get in and out of there quickly.  As with everywhere you need to know what the comparable price is elsewhere.  There are many items I can get cheaper across the street at Sams.  

Respected Contributor

@sissel, ALDI accepts credit cards now. They didn’t use to, but that changed a few years ago.
Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008  thank you I thought have to go in with cash & I don't usually use cash good to know thanks again

Respected Contributor

I have an Aldi's close to me and go there fairly often.  Around the holidays I usually will go there and buy a spiral ham.  This past Christmas, I bought a spiral ham for 79 cents/pound. We have always enjoyed their hams.

In fact, I ran by there today and picked up a package of ground beef they have on sale for $1.99/lb.  I have used their ground beef before and it is fine.  So should work well for some Super Bowl Sunday dishes I have planned.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I love Aldi and yet I am pretty much their nightmare as I am one of those shoppers who show up when they have good weekly specials.  Most of my wardrobe is courtesy of Aldi and most of my kitchen utensils are as well.

I have found that their prices have gone up but I am lucky I have the time to shop local ads.  What I mostly buy along side their specials are their prepared meals (not frozen) as you can split them into individual portions and have a nice meal for not a lot of money.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm the exception. I've been to Aldi's twice and that was enough. I just don't care for the store. 

I'm also not a fan of Trader Joe's. 

I just want to grocery shop in one place and have it done. Publix is fine with me. 

@gidgetgh   Aldi's is nearer me than Publix but I prefer Publix.  I will run in Aldi's and pick up milk, butter or cheese if that is all I need.  The produce in mine is not good.  I would not buy it.  It looks ratty/  I do love the milk, cheese and dairy products.  However, for most of my shopping, it's Publix.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm the exception. I've been to Aldi's twice and that was enough. I just don't care for the store. 

I'm also not a fan of Trader Joe's. 

I just want to grocery shop in one place and have it done. Publix is fine with me. 

@gidgetgh   Aldi's is nearer me than Publix but I prefer Publix.  I will run in Aldi's and pick up milk, butter or cheese if that is all I need.  The produce in mine is not good.  I would not buy it.  It looks ratty/  I do love the milk, cheese and dairy products.  However, for most of my shopping, it's Publix.  

@Nonametoday - I just don't want to go all over to end up with the same groceries I'd have gotten at just one store.  A friend of mine goes all over- Publix, Kroger, Walmart, Aldi's, and I think Trader Joes.  I'm just not interested in that.  By the time I put all the effort, my time and gas to do all that, have I REALLY saved any money by doing it?  It just doesn't interest me.

Now, I certainly stop in Kroger from time to time, specificallly for 1 item that Publix doesn't carry.  And if I'm looking for a new product, I'll hunt around for it, but I don't go from store to store just to do my regular shopping.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?