Respected Contributor

Re: "Upgraded Aldi stores" reshaping prices, choices, bargains

@Mominohio wrote:

First, they have added too many aisles of 'stuff' that I'm not interested in. The draw for Aldi's was cheap grocery prices, and a small store easy to navigate. All this junk, lawn chairs, coolers, air fryers and flip flops is just taking up space where they could expand their food selections. If I want Walmart, I'll go there, just give me back my easy to shop, cheap groceries.

The profit margins on groceries are razor thin. Thats why most supermarkets like Wegmanns etc offer prepared foods.  Items like Air fryers etc. that Aldi sells for 40 dollars have a tremendous profit margin compared to grocery staples such as eggs. Thats why they carry them.

Respected Contributor

I like ALDI and shop there every other week for staples. We drink Fairlife milk, it’s $1 cheaper there than at Kroger if it’s not on sale. I’ve never had a problem with their bread. My son eats a bagel from ALDI every day for breakfast. The snacks for the teenagers who congregate in my basement come from ALDI. The packages of cookies and chips they devour are cheaper than any other store brand. If I’m feeding a crowd over a meal time, the kids like the take and bake pizzas. The wines are quite drinkable and rarely more than $10 a bottle. I always like to browse the “Aisle of Style” for interesting items. I got some baking utensils over the holidays for a good price. Some ALDI brands are better than others, but that’s true of any store brand. Some prices are better than others, but that’s also true of any store.
Honored Contributor

I have been ours a few times and it isn't for me.  It doesn't have enough of what I want, and WAY too much of stuff I don't want.

I think they make their money off a few loss leaders, then things peope have never seen before and try out, and stuff that's not groceries, and candy.  

I don't have the patience to look around then go somewhere else for the other things I want or need, or for brands I trust or organic produce. 

But for those who find what they want and they are happy, it's another choice which is also nice.

Regular Contributor

Fascinating to learn more about Audi's. I never been to one until it opened in my town about 4 years ago. It is a fairly small store and for me that is a huge advantage. I do like to checkout unusual offerings, especially foods the sporatically bring in from Germany.

No kids to shop for so I rarely buy milk, bread , cereal. When I do find something I like I never know if I will see it again. Find there produce unpredictable for both price and quality. The store is in a weird store group that is a bit hard to get into. So rarely make a trip to only go there.

Esteemed Contributor

There is an Aldi near me. I'm just not impressed.I go in every so often & end up walking out empty handed. 

Honored Contributor

We have a small Adi store in our area, we shop there for certain things. We like their produce, coffee and certain frozen foods. Years ago we shopped there exclusively because their prices were so good, but Aldi has not been the bargain place to shop in years.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella  we have an Aldi, Lidl and a Shoprite all within 5 minutes of each other.  We find ourselves spending less and less $ in Shoprite.

Respected Contributor

I don't have an Aldi's but heard it may be coming, saw you need a quarter for the shopping cart, also bring your bags but not sure if you need cash to buy there or do they accept credit cards. We have a Winco that only accept cash or checks. What is Aldi's payment? cash? not sure how they work with payment

Respected Contributor

We're fortunate that our Aldi's generally has fresher produce and decent fresh meats (better than our local Publix, which is abysmal in those areas).

I too could do without the kitchen appliances, clothing, etc. Give me more groceries!

Denise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@ciao_bella  we have an Aldi, Lidl and a Shoprite all within 5 minutes of each other.  We find ourselves spending less and less $ in Shoprite.

We also have a Lidl in addition to the two Aldi's near us.  I like Lidl too!  Just like you, I'm spending much less at Shoprite.  In fact, this is the first year I didn't make the $400 amount in purchases at Shoprite to qualify for the free turkey at Thanksgiving.  Not a problem for me as I've saved a lot more $ shopping at Aldi and Lidl than the cost of a single turkey.  

I just noticed the other day when I was in Aldi's they had a sign up near the register that they are now doing free delivery of groceries to your home.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!