Respected Contributor

"Upgraded Aldi stores" reshaping prices, choices, bargains

[ Edited ]

This story originally in the Chicago Tribune appeared in today's Atlanta metro newspaper.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-aldi-evolution-20191206-khurw6yjmrcgxl2oavlnafldpq-st...

<<As a spruced-up Adi climbs toward its goal of having 2,500 stores by 2022--which would make it the third-largest U.S. grocer by store count--converts  are putting aside old perceptions of the brand......>>

Honored Contributor

Re: "Upgraded Aldi stores" reshaping prices, choices, bargains

Who doesn't love Aldi's? This is our typical go-to, then we ususally have to subsidize at a way more expensive kroger or giant eagle or lucky's for the very few items Aldi's doesn't carry yet. They just get bigger and better every time a new one goes up and/or they remodel the ones around us in OH.

What I love the most is the fact they get more and more organic. They also love to bring in brands we don't know that offer more great choices. All the while they keep out tons of aisles of stupid non-grocery items, yes they have only one aisle of a few home goods type things but thats okay. Doesn't allow for consumers to spend tons on money on this kind of stuff that we don't really need.

Respected Contributor

Here's anothe link to see the story, from a New Hampshire newspaper.  Hope it works for anyone wanting to read it.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/business/how-discount-chain-aldi-is-giving-those-fancy-grocery-stor...

Esteemed Contributor

I love Aldis. 

Honored Contributor

With the exception of a few items, all  my shopping is done at Aldi's. The savings is amazing. That said, I 100% disagree with the article that prices won't raise. I keep a spreadsheet on groceries (where, what and price) and I can tell you that over the past 2 years, their prices have gone up and on many items....they've more than doubled. One of the problems is that the cost of an item not only varies from state to state, but from store to store in the SAME county. I don't get this but there it is.

Eggs at my local Aldi's were 48 cents a carton. The other Aldi's, which is 20 minutes or so from my house but in my county, were $1.20 a carton. That's a HUGE difference. IMHO, Aldi will charge whatever they can get away with plus, they SLOWLY increase the price so you don't really notice it (a few cents every week to every other week) so unless you're keeping track (which I do) you don't really notice it.

We'll see.

Honored Contributor

We have an upgraded Aldi's in our area (at least it was considered the higher end store a few years ago when it opened, not sure if they are upgrading again) and I have to say, I'm not impressed. 

First, they have added too many aisles of 'stuff' that I'm not interested in. The draw for Aldi's was cheap grocery prices, and a small store easy to navigate. All this junk, lawn chairs, coolers, air fryers and flip flops is just taking up space where they could expand their food selections. If I want Walmart, I'll go there, just give me back my easy to shop, cheap groceries. I'm also not really a fan of them filling their shelves with name brands, because the price on those is not any better than what it is at other stores, often higher, so just stick with your brand, and let the national go if you can't get a rock bottom price on them. 

Their prices have gone up over the years (yes, everyone's have), to the point where their everyday prices on their house brands really is not a good deal, when I compare it to a sale at someplace like Kroger or Meijer, where I can buy a national brand and stock up at a much smaller price. Aldi used to have prices on staples that couldn't be touched even at loss leader sales at other markets, but not anymore. 

I do like that they are expanding the variety of foods in their newer and bigger stores. I like the dairy selection and prices at ours, but the produce is really hit or miss, and misses the mark in quality and selection more often than not. I also don't care for most of their breads. Low end or high end, I'm finding them dry and just not very good. 

I don't get to Aldi's as often as I used to, mostly because ours was going through a time of not having the basics in stock a lot of the time. On just one visit a year ago, I couldn't get frozen peas, frozen broccoli, no milk, and no sour cream, all in one day. I've had similar lacking visits other times, and so I kind of pass them by lately, but will make a run every couple of months to stock up on a few things that I really love from there (love their salsa, canned peaches, and jarred cheese sauce). 

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam - I agree about Aldi raising their prices.  We have two Aldi's in our small city and they charge different prices for the same item in the same week.  I was paying 48 cents for eggs also and last week they went to $1.29.  We're going to check the other Aldi and see what they are charging.  Milk has gone up 30 cents recently.  The major problem we encounter at Aldi is that they don't get in whats in their weekly ad.  The managers just say they didn't get it in.  They don't give rainchecks like other supermarkets do, so you lost out on the sale item.  I've complained a number oftime to the corporate office but it is still happening.  Not good business practice when there is a lot of competition.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL  Yeah, I would say that their attitude is "you don't like it, go elsewhere #%&^%(" when you state you can't find what they have advertised; it  really is an " I don't care" smugness with them. The things, customers don't leave because the prices DO beat out everyone else (at least in my area) and they ****** well know it. Therefore, they have zero reason to change.

2 years ago the place was always packed. Now? Not so much.  I no longer see military families there (the savings is no longer there for them) but I do see MANY church groups. 

Like I said, we'll have to see what happens. @Mominohio , that is NOT what I want to see happen at my local Aldi's. Bleh.

Respected Contributor

They are thinking of building an Aldi's in my city & the next city over. They have the location but think zoning is an issue. Talking about it for over a year and still haven't reached an agreement. We have grocery stores in almost all shopping centers maybe they are afraid they will lose their customers. 

Super Contributor

i love Aldi's but seldom shop there. when they remodeled they made the store larger. that makes it impossible for me  to navigate on foot. i have trouble walking. and they don't provide alternative carts, like scooters for those of us that are disabled or seniors.