Super Contributor

I remember all but #3 also, but I've heard of it, so I may have been aware of it as a child. Only 3 blocks from the grade school, but short lunch times, so probably didn't go home much. We had an outside time right after, so may have been able to get home, eat, and back. In bad weather we had movies during the "recess"! Shirley Temple, that sort.

Jr. High and High School, walked a mile both ways, sometimes carrying a 14# bassoon! Don't know how I ever did that, couldn't carry one across the street today. And books on top of that.  Senior year we lived on the other side of the new Interstate, so got bused. But I still often walked home. Between the walking and marching band, I sure must've been in good shape! Miss those days. Sorta.

#4: Grandma was Southern Baptist, we couldn't have candy cigs at her house.

#8: I remember asking mom once why the milkman walked with one arm sticking out so far.

#9: Every time I tried to call my gf up the street, got a busy signal. Never had that explained to me.

#15: Our phone # started with EMpire. Then one day suddenly it wasn't, it started with 36.

#17: Vanilla Phosphates.

#19: I wasn't allowed to lick the stamps, you never knew where they'd been!

#20: Finally threw out the last of old flashbulbs in this last move.

So, where do I sign up?

Honored Contributor

I remember everything on that list.  My kids remember many of those things too, so whomever wrote it got their “timing” mixed up.

Trusted Contributor

Older than dirt here...never heard of #3.  

Trusted Contributor

Butch wax was for crew cuts on guys.  You see I am older than dirt!Smiley Very Happy

Boop

Honored Contributor

I remember 12 of them.  I always loved those blue flashbulbs.  So pretty.

Our prefix for making a phone call on a rotary dial party line was LY

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012

Sad story about those blue fash bulbs.  Back when nuns wore full habits, one sister was taking a photo with a blue flash bulb that exploded.  Her face/head piece was flammable and caught fire.  Don't know how severe the result was but that order forbade nuns from using flash bulbs.

I think the white stiff piece was a type of celluloid.

It's very interesting how every one's frame of reference at the mention of the same word can be so different.  This difference was a key component on the communications workshops I used to conduct.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@beckyb1012

Sad story about those blue fash bulbs.  Back when nuns wore full habits, one sister was taking a photo with a blue flash bulb that exploded.  Her face/head piece was flammable and caught fire.  Don't know how severe the result was but that order forbade nuns from using flash bulbs.

I think the white stiff piece was a type of celluloid.

It's very interesting how every one's frame of reference at the mention of the same word can be so different.  This difference was a key component on the communications workshops I used to conduct.

Oh my I had no ideal they could be so dangerous.  Just remember the little bit of "color" we had in our black and white world back then.  Still remember how memorized I was with my Grandparents getting the first color t.v. I had ever seen. Also when they that got that thing you put on the floor and pointed at your silver Christmas tree to make it go from red to green to blue I think.  Just a like an oscillating fan.  Amazing how far we have come @jlkz.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

OH, @beckyb1012, your ref to color tvs reminded me!  I don't remember it first hand, but I was told there was a filmish thing you could put on the b&w set to make it look color. It was green on the bottom, and blue on top, grass and sky. Maybe something in between. I don't know if we had one, I don't think so, because I have a vague memory of shopping for our first TV, and would've been 4 or 5.

Not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere, a while back, that color was invented first. Was also told that the early color sets were hard to adjust, a repairman had to be called if it got off. I remember the sets from the 70's where you could adjust them yourself. I guess there's no need to, these days.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting.  I had forgotten many of those things, but apparently I am getting close to being older than dirt.  That is okay in my book.  I think many are missing out, and some are even coming back.  Milk in a glass bottle is the best, and I love drive-in movies.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@flbettyboop wrote:

Image may contain: text

#1----DH loved it !

#4----Bought them for the kids Easter baskets last year...

#6----I was one of the kids in the peanut gallery...

#8----Still get my milk the same way...

#14----Became a "woman" at a drive-in...

#17----Started my life long love affair with classic coke with the help of #5...

#19----"Bought" my first toaster with my books of stamps....

I probably have a memory of everything mentioned.....