Honored Contributor

Is it me or are large eggs getting smaller?? ...they look more like the size of medium eggs to me. Am I imagining this?

Honored Contributor

i am not even sure i see medium eggs in the grocery store anymore. i mostly see large, xlarge, and jumbo. i prefer buying jumbo and always  hope to see double yolks. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I thought the same thing the last time I bought them. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i am not even sure i see medium eggs in the grocery store anymore. i mostly see large, xlarge, and jumbo. i prefer buying jumbo and always  hope to see double yolks. Smiley Wink

Yes, I haven't seen medium eggs either. But the last two time I bought 'large' eggs they could have passed for medium size...if you know what I mean.

Respected Contributor

I believe eggs are measured by weight, not dimensions.

Large eggs do seem small to me now because we always buy x-large or jumbo. We have a local supplier to our supermarket here from whom we get jumbo eggs and there are usually a fair number of double yolks in the carton.

Honored Contributor

The reason I noticed their smaller size is because I cook a batch in a steamer and only 9 usually fit inside the steamer basket. But now I can put 10 eggs in my basket. I had to double check the carton to see if I indeed bought large eggs, and I did.

Esteemed Contributor

Everything is getting smaller except me! 🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

My grocery store sells large and jumbo and completely skips over extra large most of the time.  I would really like to buy xl because large really are smaller than they used to be, and jumbo are just a little too big when you're trying to be precise in baking.  Jumbo are perfect for cooking; it's the baking thing that can get messed up if the eggs are too large.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee   Your post made me chuckle.  Yes, I think you're right.  "Large" eggs have gone the same way as ice cream, peanut butter, canned tuna, boxed cereal......I could go on and on!

Laura loves cats!
Regular Contributor

Yes so true, but in the meantime the chicken breasts just keep getting bigger in size. Even though they still claim no hormones, antibiotics, etc. The size we buy now equals about two of what you used to buy years ago.