Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Duff vs Buddy" on Food Network

I just don't understand how a show highlighting two very talented bakers and cake artists can be so devoid of fun! Duff is too serious (which is crazy because he's normally such a fun-loving and adventurous guy), Buddy is too arrogant (which seems at least slightly out of character for him), and the competitive moments that are presented manage to be simultaneously ridiculous and dull. The results are fairly impressive overall, but I have yet to be blown away by the work of either baker. I'm on the fence about whether I'll watch any more of this showdown...

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Watching through Episode 2 last night, I was wondering if the now 2 judges were going to slide into Duff's corner, as there appears to be a decided bias being expressed.  I know: I'm not there on hand to view.  However!  Remember TASTING is not a part of this competition, in some instances!!!.

So last night these two professionals were set about to create a "Bollywood CAKE," in the 2nd half.  Now, cake in my world means that at least one layer of honest to goodness cake is mixed, poured into a pan and baked.  It is then incorporated into the design of a "cake."

Not so with Duff's "cake."  He did not create a cake and so I declare him "Disqualified."  (Of course, I'm not privy to the rules and regs.)  That elephant he created was 75-80% plywood and 20-25% rice cereal treats.  Question: How does that equate to a "Cake?"  It doesn't.

Buddy made a real, multi-tiered "Cake."  The only "Cake" the judges could cut into, if they chose to do so.

Why the Food Network has allowed this competition to exist without tasting is beyond me.  You simply cannot have a cake contest without tasting the cake!

@sfnative   I agree that there is a bias, same with Bobby Flay.  I missed it last night, but from your description, it does not sound like a cake that Duff made.  Buddy is much better, watched his Cake Boss series, wonderful creations he made and the items in his bakery shop looked delicious.

@mousiegirl 

Hi mousiegirl,

I'm quite put out with myself, because I've seen every episode of "Ace of Cakes" at least twice, when they were on and also have seen all of "Cake Boss."  However, I cannot think of the name of Duff's assistant and I've seen him so many times on my TV.  It's driving me crazy.

Why?  Because Duff and his assistant (the guy on Ace who always figures out the mechanics and the best way to design a cake) appeared to do their "work" together.  Duff told him what he wanted and he or they got the basics done.  They were creating an elephant.  It was then covered in fondant, the gold foil applied in increments with a brush.  East Indian piping designs were added, then allowed to dry, then placed   customary "double rugs" made of fondant, I believe, on top of the elephant.  It was elaborate, but not a cake.  It was mixed media art.  In introducing his piece, Duff made some rather rude remarks about people who make the kind of cakes like Buddy makes.  He was incredibly rude.

Buddy ended up winning both rounds last night.  The judges (2 this week) provided some explanation regarding the first round (Carnival Treats or some such title) and gave the viewing audience no reason why they chose Buddy as the winner of the "Bollywood Cake" challenge.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I only watched a part of the show one time and didn't care for it.  However, I've been a Duff fan for a very long time and enjoy him on other shows. I don't know a whole lot about Buddy.

@Krimpette 

I was a big fan of "Ace of Cakes" when it was airing.  After last night, no way.  He threw insults this way and that.  Buddy had his say, but not in front of the judges like Duff did.  Duff is clearly into low blows.

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

I watched first episode and Buddy was such a sore loser not very nice at all very surprised at his attitude.  Going to give it a miss I think.  Duff handled it well.

@dulwich 

I know darn well why Buddy went to the producer at the end of the first episode.  All you had to do was pay attention to the dynamic between "what's her face the judge trained by Wolfgang Puck" making google-eyes at Duff during the entire competition.  It made me puke.  Clearly these two have history.

She, judge, has no clue of Italian baking and the breadth of Buddy's baking repetoire and skills he has to pull from, which does not include making an elephant out of 80% plywood and 20% rice cereal treats - Where's the Cake - Duff?  It was clear she had already dismissed Buddy from contention last week.

Honored Contributor

I dont like the competition shows so I dont watch.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@sfnative , Duff's ssistant is Geoff.

Contributor

It is very bias. judge Shery is always praising Duff even though his cake is so tiny

Honored Contributor

big sigh....... remember when the 

food network had actual cooking shows and not all the food game shows----I miss those days!!! Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative - Duff's assistant is Geof Manthorne. He's great!

I can't believe people think there's a bias in favor of Duff—if there's any bias, I think it's clearly in favor of Buddy. In the first challenge, the person they were creating a custom cake for was a friend of his, so he had the advantage of being able to add extra details that Duff couldn't have known about. Buddy got to pick the second challenge, which is a style of cake that he's made dozens of over the years and therefore had plenty of practice in making quickly. The camera spends tons of time capturing Buddy's antics and really only shows Duff when he's struggling (probably because it's unusual to see Duff not cracking jokes and being goofy). As for the judges, Sherry Yard is a very talented and well-respected baker and baking judge, so it seems unlikely that she'd show any bias, and each battle has been decided by a single point anyway. And even with Keegan Gerhard added to the crew, the scoring didn't really change.

I like both of these bakers, but I really don't love the show. As I posted earlier in this thread, the fun and joy you'd expect from each of them simply isn't there, and although the final cakes have been very good, they certainly haven't been of the quality these bakers are capable of producing. Overall, it's truly disappointing that a show that should be amazing is just filled with drama and dullness.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl - I also wish there were more cooking shows, but to be fair, 1/2 of each weekday on the Food Network is devoted to cooking shows and 1/2 is cooking competition shows—they just happen to be in the primetime lineup. On the weekends, there are far more "regular" cooking shows on, and I spend way too much time watching them.  Smiley Happy