Esteemed Contributor

"Duff vs Buddy" on Food Network

Hi Everyone!

Watching through Episode 2 last night, I was wondering if the now 2 judges were going to slide into Duff's corner, as there appears to be a decided bias being expressed.  I know: I'm not there on hand to view.  However!  Remember TASTING is not a part of this competition, in some instances!!!.

So last night these two professionals were set about to create a "Bollywood CAKE," in the 2nd half.  Now, cake in my world means that at least one layer of honest to goodness cake is mixed, poured into a pan and baked.  It is then incorporated into the design of a "cake."

Not so with Duff's "cake."  He did not create a cake and so I declare him "Disqualified."  (Of course, I'm not privy to the rules and regs.)  That elephant he created was 75-80% plywood and 20-25% rice cereal treats.  Question: How does that equate to a "Cake?"  It doesn't.

Buddy made a real, multi-tiered "Cake."  The only "Cake" the judges could cut into, if they chose to do so.

Why the Food Network has allowed this competition to exist without tasting is beyond me.  You simply cannot have a cake contest without tasting the cake!

Honored Contributor

Re: "Duff vs Buddy" on Food Network

I do not care for the show, Buddy is shown being very nasty, I am not sure if this is him or a persona, its been a while since I watched Cake Boss

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Watching through Episode 2 last night, I was wondering if the now 2 judges were going to slide into Duff's corner, as there appears to be a decided bias being expressed.  I know: I'm not there on hand to view.  However!  Remember TASTING is not a part of this competition, in some instances!!!.

So last night these two professionals were set about to create a "Bollywood CAKE," in the 2nd half.  Now, cake in my world means that at least one layer of honest to goodness cake is mixed, poured into a pan and baked.  It is then incorporated into the design of a "cake."

Not so with Duff's "cake."  He did not create a cake and so I declare him "Disqualified."  (Of course, I'm not privy to the rules and regs.)  That elephant he created was 75-80% plywood and 20-25% rice cereal treats.  Question: How does that equate to a "Cake?"  It doesn't.

Buddy made a real, multi-tiered "Cake."  The only "Cake" the judges could cut into, if they chose to do so.

Why the Food Network has allowed this competition to exist without tasting is beyond me.  You simply cannot have a cake contest without tasting the cake!

@sfnative   I agree that there is a bias, same with Bobby Flay.  I missed it last night, but from your description, it does not sound like a cake that Duff made.  Buddy is much better, watched his Cake Boss series, wonderful creations he made and the items in his bakery shop looked delicious.

Honored Contributor

I only watched a part of the show one time and didn't care for it.  However, I've been a Duff fan for a very long time and enjoy him on other shows. I don't know a whole lot about Buddy.

Respected Contributor

I watched first episode and Buddy was such a sore loser not very nice at all very surprised at his attitude.  Going to give it a miss I think.  Duff handled it well.

Valued Contributor

I too am getting a terrible opinion of Buddy.  Don't like him at all on this show!!  He is being such a sore loser and 'know it all'.  I am so rooting for DUFF!!!  Don't care to watch Buddy again ever!!! 

Honored Contributor

I watched 2 episodes while I was working, I won't be watching any further episodes.  Buddy is complete turn off.  He's rude, classless, nasty and everything I don't like in a person.  I watch those cooking competitions because they are fun.  Buddy is not fun.

Respected Contributor

to me buddy has gotten very full of himself and has a very high opinion of himself. i allways liked his show but hes has gotten very abnoctions.

Honored Contributor

I am very annoyed with this competition due to Buddy Valastro’s attitude.   Buddy’s attitude in storming out after Duff won the challenge in week 1 was ridiculous, and texting pictures of his big cake to Duff in the 2nd challenge was again a ridiculous move for an adult.  

Duff Goldmann makes awesome cakes, so I was shocked that his beautiful Indian elephant was not part of a big cake with the Bollywood theme.   Technically he did not make a cake, despite the beauty of his detailed creation.   

At this point I do not want to see Buddy win.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did not see the entire episode but I did see the lady on Buddy's cake was made by his assistant. "She" was the most highly praised part of his creation.

I've attended a number of events where Buddy's elaborate cakes were served.  They were dry and tasteless.  As a baker, to me it was obvious the cake had been frozen for goodness knows how long.

I've been to 2 of his bakeries and was not impressed with the cannoli and lobster tail I tasted.  The cappuccino was weak.