Honored Contributor

Re: "Chronic Bakers" out there?

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Hi bakers. I’ve always shied away from baking. My mother was a fantastic baker, but I didn’t inherit that gene. Smiley Happy. My biggest question is when the recipe says to put your (yeast) dough in a warm draft-free place. Where is that? Even shows on TV say the same, but they never tell you where they put it. I’ve been reading through some of my mother’s recipes and would like to give some a try.

@Mimi 1883

I know bakers who put it into the microwave (not turned on), because that's draft-free, also an unheated oven.  I don't live in a drafty house, so I cover mine with plastic wrap and leave it on a counter or on top of the stove.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@dex

Yes. If I'm sitting with a bag or bowl of chips, DH will ask me for one.  

And that's it!

One!

Remember that Lay's chips commercial that said, "No one can eat just one"?  Well, they never met my husband.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Re: warm, draft-free place. I've done all @house_cat recommended, as well as, when I used my KitchenAid to knead, using the bowl with the plastic lid that I have for it.  Also have heard of using a damp dish towel, if it's particularly dry in the house, but never needed that.

Don't worry if a bread product doesn't turn out right, it always makes good bread crumbs or croutons! However, I don't believe bread is capable of not being right; just not what you expected.

Honored Contributor

My pies are done , rolls are shaped into crescents on the 2nd rise as I'm taking a rest before I start on the 2nd batch. Might have to make a third, also

Made me and hubbo some gingersnaps. I can't put raisins in them because he hates raisins. sigh...............

I put my yeast dough in a King Arthur bucket and put under stove top light or in TURNED OFF oven and close door, if they're not raising fast enough I'll turn on light in oven.

Wish stores would carry Platinum yeast best yeast they make. So expensive to order thru Amazon. I can find in other cities like New Mexico, but, Amarillo area forget it. My sister found in a Meijer store up in Ind then they dropped it right when she was gonna buy 12 packs of 3 for me and ship. (it will freeze well) So, now, I can't get any more.

Hoping the KIng Arthur Saf yeast in the lb. bags is good. that will be my replacement. That yeast you buy at the store isn't worth a hoot.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat lol you are making my day..thanks

Honored Contributor

Dough is in the bread machine for rolls right now.

I just received my 1 lb pkg of SAF Yeast the other day. Can't believe we used 1 lb pkg in about 8 months. LOL!!!

Brownies Yum!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

All done for the day. I'm hitting the couch.

DSCN0285.JPG

DSCN0286.JPG

DSCN0287.JPG

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Omg!  I could walk right past the brownies, but I'd come to a screeching halt in front of those rolls!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Hi bakers. I’ve always shied away from baking. My mother was a fantastic baker, but I didn’t inherit that gene. Smiley Happy. My biggest question is when the recipe says to put your (yeast) dough in a warm draft-free place. Where is that? Even shows on TV say the same, but they never tell you where they put it. I’ve been reading through some of my mother’s recipes and would like to give some a try.

@Mimi 1883

I know bakers who put it into the microwave (not turned on), because that's draft-free, also an unheated oven.  I don't live in a drafty house, so I cover mine with plastic wrap and leave it on a counter or on top of the stove.

@house_catThank you for that! What do you think about setting it on top of a heating pad set on low?? I can't remember what my mother did. <sigh>

F/N/A luvstogarden
Super Contributor

Ooooh, I have done heating pad, too, forgot, with newspapers as insulation.