Honored Contributor

Re: parchment paper and baking

Will it be allowed to cool first?  If so, I'd say no.  It should firm up nicely.  If taking it out, right out of the oven, however, different story.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mom2DogsTo get the cake to turn out, take the item the cake will go on, place it face down over the cake pan, holding the two together without sliding, invert.  

It's the same way you turn a cake out onto a cooling rack.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, I line everything with parchment, and I use my 9x13 pan quite often.  However, a cake that size weighs so much that I am not sure that you can get it out in one piece without help.  Maybe not even with help.  I wish you luck and hope to hear back about your success.  It is much easier with a smaller cake.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Typically I do not use parchment paper but I am wondering if I can line a

9 x 13 baking pan with the paper including enough overhang to grab onto...once the cake is baked..I want to take the cake out in one piece.

I think the parchment paper will allow me to do that....am I correct?

thanks

just wondering....what are you going to place the cake on when serving....

Trusted Contributor

i use parchment paper that way for loaf pans. I also do it for 9 x 9 pans.  I assume if you have enough overhang, and are careful, you should be able to do the same for 9 x 13 pans. Just make sure not to let parchment paper bunch in the corners of the pan.  Also add batter slowly so that the weight of the batter does not make your parchment paper sag.  Good luck.  

Honored Contributor

@nana59.....I plan on cutting shapes with my cookie cutter or just into squares....squares always work, not sure about the cookie cutters....they need to be a decent size piece...it's coffee cake and I am giving it to a friend.

I just thought the shapes would look nice, but the squares would be ok as well.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG...I don't want to flip the cake because the top is a crumb topping it will be a huge mess....that is why I wanted to use the parchment paper to lift it out.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs.   How are you going to get all that paper out from under the cake after you get it out of the pan?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  What I do is put a piece of baking silicone (which is reuseable) in the bottom of the pan and no issues whatsover.  If you have topping on the cake and can't dump it then I the best way I found is to get the thinner baking silicone in sheets that you can cut to size and just cut thick strips for the length and width about 4 inches over on each side to lift it out after it is cooled.  It is sturdier than parchment paper which tends to get moist, limp and less sturdy under a cake.  Also I have found parchment can wrinkle if not fitted exactly to the bottom and the overhang could cause wrinkles which could bake into the cake causing issues. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624...if I cut squares or shapes.....I will just use a spatula to lift each piece off.