Honored Contributor

Re: my mouth is just watering for a good fat free muffin with FLAVOR

I use this basic recipe for making low-fat muffins. I've made a fat-free vegan version, but they aren't worth the calories, in my opinion.

This one is good and I add blueberries or raisins, though they're fine plain.

2 cups Bisquick baking mix

4 oz. no sugar added applesauce

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 small jar baby food bananas

milk (add this last until you have the right consistency) probably about 2/3 cup

Stir the ingredients gently only until mixed.. don't over mix.. the batter should not be smooth.

Fill muffin cups.

I like to sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

On 5/26/2014 qualitygal said:

Thank you ladies. I'll do some checking. Low fat may give more options and flavor so thanks again.

Low fat products tend to add sugar in place of fat. Today's thinking is sugar is more the "problem" than fat. You need fat or sugar to give food flavor, taste, something worth eating. Good luckSmiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 5/26/2014 Skylands said:
On 5/26/2014 qualitygal said:

Thank you ladies. I'll do some checking. Low fat may give more options and flavor so thanks again.

Low fat products tend to add sugar in place of fat. Today's thinking is sugar is more the "problem" than fat. You need fat or sugar to give food flavor, taste, something worth eating. Good luckSmiley Happy

I've never liked those "can of soda and a box of cake mix" cakes. They all come out tasteless to me (and I have tried many times, triumph of hope over experience). It's not so much the fat and sugar I need for flavor, as a good old-fashioned egg.

Super Contributor

On 5/26/2014 house_cat said:

I use this basic recipe for making low-fat muffins. I've made a fat-free vegan version, but they aren't worth the calories, in my opinion.

This one is good and I add blueberries or raisins, though they're fine plain.

2 cups Bisquick baking mix

4 oz. no sugar added applesauce

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 small jar baby food bananas

milk (add this last until you have the right consistency) probably about 2/3 cup

Stir the ingredients gently only until mixed.. don't over mix.. the batter should not be smooth.

Fill muffin cups.

I like to sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Looks great, HC; thanks. 8)

I may tweak it to include whole grain flour, etc..

Respected Contributor

Try the Krusteaz fat free muffin mix, you absolutely cannot tell the difference between their fat free and regular mix.

I've had the blueberry and cranberry orange varieties....very good for adding water.