Contributor

Re: loved that slow cooker book tonight

Thanks ChynnaBlue, I appreciate your post and downloaded it a few minutes ago. Look forward to reading through it on my tablet.
Contributor

Just an update about the slow cooker cookbook from OP's post....

I received the book on Thursday. On Saturday, we tried the Macaroni and Cheese recipe from the book. It's really good! Nice and creamy, lots of cheese, not runny at all, great flavor. I used a mixture of three Cheddars that I ran through the shredder of my food processor, a little more dry mustard than the recipe stated, and I threw in a scant 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, just for a bit of a kick. I used large pasta shells instead of the elbows. And I used the largest recipe for my large crock pot. Cooked 45 minutes on High, gave it a good stir, and cooked another 45 minutes on High. Served the mac and cheese with a Caesar salad. I thought there'd be leftovers, but DH made sure there was barely enough leftover for his lunch on Monday (yesterday). He really liked it and I'll be making it again.

Today's dinner will be the recipe for Chicken Noodle soup from the book. The only difference is that I seldom use chicken thighs, so I used bone-in (skinless) breasts. It won't take long to bone the breasts tonight when I get home. I can bone the breasts while the noodles are cooking.

I'm going to be using this book often. I really like it.

FWIW, though, when using the spices, herbs, salt, etc. in these recipes, use your own judgement, if you can. It looks like, with some of the recipes, the authors simply said "One teaspoon for the smaller crockpot, two for the medium size, and three for the large crock pot." If you look at the recipes, you'll see what I mean. And I'm not quite sure I agree with that. There's a big difference between one teaspoon of salt and three teaspoons of salt, even for larger quantities and I'd be a little leery. Just my two cents there. YMMV

But overall? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

On 1/14/2014 PamelaSuein72 said:

Just an update about the slow cooker cookbook from OP's post....

I received the book on Thursday. On Saturday, we tried the Macaroni and Cheese recipe from the book. It's really good! Nice and creamy, lots of cheese, not runny at all, great flavor. I used a mixture of three Cheddars that I ran through the shredder of my food processor, a little more dry mustard than the recipe stated, and I threw in a scant 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, just for a bit of a kick. I used large pasta shells instead of the elbows. And I used the largest recipe for my large crock pot. Cooked 45 minutes on High, gave it a good stir, and cooked another 45 minutes on High. Served the mac and cheese with a Caesar salad. I thought there'd be leftovers, but DH made sure there was barely enough leftover for his lunch on Monday (yesterday). He really liked it and I'll be making it again.

Today's dinner will be the recipe for Chicken Noodle soup from the book. The only difference is that I seldom use chicken thighs, so I used bone-in (skinless) breasts. It won't take long to bone the breasts tonight when I get home. I can bone the breasts while the noodles are cooking.

I'm going to be using this book often. I really like it.

FWIW, though, when using the spices, herbs, salt, etc. in these recipes, use your own judgement, if you can. It looks like, with some of the recipes, the authors simply said "One teaspoon for the smaller crockpot, two for the medium size, and three for the large crock pot." If you look at the recipes, you'll see what I mean. And I'm not quite sure I agree with that. There's a big difference between one teaspoon of salt and three teaspoons of salt, even for larger quantities and I'd be a little leery. Just my two cents there. YMMV

But overall? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Thanks for the review. I saw that recipe and made a note to try it soon. I will definitely make it in the next few weeks.

I just love this book. I received it last week after being on waitlist and I sat down and read through it from cover to cover. There are so many recipes that I want to try. It looks like a real winner, IMO, and I think it will become my favorite slow cooker cookbook.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Contributor

Just thought I'd mention that the Chicken Noodle Soup from this cookbook was delicious.

Super Contributor

This sounds good.
Super Contributor

I recently got the book from QVC. The recipes look wonderful. I love that there are different sizes available. The recipes often use a lot of fresh and healthy ingredients too. So these aren't your typical crock pot recipes of "a can of soup, a can of beans, BBQ sauce and cook on high" sort of thing. Also, the recipes include some for ingredients such as duck, rabbit, lamb and a variety of fish that you don't often find in other crock pot recipe books.

Regular Contributor

I am so glad I read most of these subjects posted even though I sometimes think it won't interest me!! I have learned a lot.

After reading this one a few days ago and after cleaning out my wallet and purse, I found an old gift card for Barnes & Noble, and it started burning a hole in my pocket. We went in and I got this cookbook and another mentioned some place in here about the boys of the Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. (AND BOY, DO I LOVE THAT COOK BOOK!!!)

Like a lot of you, I read them from cover to cover like a regular novel! I truly like this book a lot. Also like a lot of you, I have different crock pots of various sizes. My older big one is from the 70's and a newer small one I got last year. I am finding out that the smaller new one cooks at a higher temp even on low, so I need to get a grip on that too.

I do like the way the boys have written up the recipes according to how complicated or how much an effort it is to make it, not to mention the measurements of the ingredients for the 3 sizes of crock pots. I can't wait to make the chicken and dumplings. I haven't had that in maybe 25 or more years. DH doesn't like them, but with that recipe I can make it and boil some rice and he can have the chicken and veggies on rice. He will like that, and I will love the dumplings. We'll both be happy. Never thought of making that recipe in a crock pot before.

I hope after trying some of the recipes in the book that some of you will post them and let us all know what you think of it.

Contributor

My only negative comment about the book is that it doesn't have the nutritional information. These days, I would think they would calculate the calories and such per serving. Sure, I can do it myself (and I am calculating as I try the recipes, then writing down the info next to the recipe, so I know for the next time), but nutritional info is important to a lot of people.

Trying the Beef Bourguignon tonight. My chuck roast is a little over 3 pounds, so I'll be using the recipe amounts for the 4 to 5-1/2 quart crock pot. I cubed the beef last night and stuck it into the wine marinade for overnight. There's a bit more prep work to this recipe than some of the others.

I agree with you, MargieRJ, I do like the fact that the recipes do not call for a can of this and a can of that.