Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The Williams-Sonoma cookbooks are very good, some of America's Test Kitchen, Mark Bittman, some of Giada's.

And of course Julia Child, Jacques Pepin and Emeril are my go-to sources for so many recipes. Beth Hensperger's bread books, the Joy of Cooking (older editions), Edna Lewis, Marcella Hazan, Lidia Bastianich, Joyce Chen and Martin Yan.  

@Sooner What's your recommendation for a cook book on fresh pasta?

@LilLadyNJ Sorry but I don't really have one.  I know Marcella  Hazan is hard to beat!  Do you mean the sauces or the pasta itself?  We have made it a lot in former days, and we have a pasta machine (Philips) that is wonderful, and alot of fun for a party.

Giada has a very good pasta sauce recipe in one of her books--can't remember right off which one!  And Martha Stewart has a great one-pot fresh ingredients pasta recipe that is very good and amazingly easy.

Sorry but there are really good jarred sauces too!  And good dried pasta too--so we don't always make home made, but did a lot more in the ancient past.  Like the 1990's.  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

My go to is the first cook book I ever bought, Betty Crocker, 1970.

I also have my grandmother's 1950 Betty Crocker cook book.

The rest of my collection is Best Recipies of Home Economics Teachers, church cook books, and Chelsea's Tea Room which has an amazing pasta salad with dill, ranch, and lemon!

In Chelsea's Kitchen Cookbook - Chelsea's and The Village Tea Room ...

@ECBG Oh boy that sounds good.  Would you mind posting?  I LOVE lemon and dill, and ranch can't be bad!  LOL!!!  We make a lot of pasta salads especially in summer and then throw in some canned salmon or tuna for lunch.

@Sooner 

FINALLY!  Here you go!  After over 30 minutes, the recipe wouldn't load!!!

I do increase the sauce by 1/4th.  I found not making it constantly  (like a resturant) a little dry for my taste, but you can add a little ranch if you prefer.  I also double the dill weed.  I added the green pepper and don't know why she didn't.

The other "star " was the chicken salad.

Chelseas Pasta Salad

img119.jpg

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  You are so sweet and I'm sorry that I put you through fighting with the computer.  I know how that is! 

The recipe looks wonderful!  Exactly like the kind of food we like and the chicken salad recipes too!  Especially the Creole one!  What a treat to have those as well!

Thanks again!  You are still teaching!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG  You are so sweet and I'm sorry that I put you through fighting with the computer.  I know how that is! 

The recipe looks wonderful!  Exactly like the kind of food we like and the chicken salad recipes too!  Especially the Creole one!  What a treat to have those as well!

Thanks again!  You are still teaching!  

@Sooner Sweetie. I was more than glad to do it for you.  I know that pasta salad will be an obsession after the first bite!  

I hate Chelsas closed. I was her flower girl in her wedding.   I guess her daughter who took the tea room over got tired.  Barbara would be almost 95 now bless her.

There's a good quiche recipe where you just plug ingredients in.   Let me know if you'd like it. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal I have a huge cookbook collection, but my favorites are those by America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Country, Taste Of Home, Allrecipes (yes, they have cookbooks😊), Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking, and a little known soul food cookbook named Brown Sugar. It's a beautiful mixture of family history, and excellent recipes.

Martha Stewart's Cooking School is a GREAT cookbook, with very detailed instructions, but does not correlate much with her PBS cooking show of the same name. I thought it would have all of the recipes from the show, but it doesn't, though each recipe I've made came out fabulous!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I used to have over 100 cookbooks.  As the years passed, I donated most to the library book sales.

I only kept my Martha Stewart, Ina Garten, and various Taste of Home, Organization cookbooks and a few others.  

I think I only have 10 now.  My go to cookbook has always been my mother's Better Homes & Garden cookbook from many years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@qualitygal I have a huge cookbook collection, but my favorites are those by America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Country, Taste Of Home, Allrecipes (yes, they have cookbooks😊), Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking, and a little known soul food cookbook named Brown Sugar. It's a beautiful mixture of family history, and excellent recipes.

Martha Stewart's Cooking School is a GREAT cookbook, with very detailed instructions, but does not correlate much with her PBS cooking show of the same name. I thought it would have all of the recipes from the show, but it doesn't, though each recipe I've made came out fabulous!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

I have 4 large Allrecipes cookbooks.  They are so good!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

I probably have a gazillion cookbooks but my favorites are the Southern Living books. I've probably made more dishes out of those than any other books. 

Oh yes. I have some favorite southern recipes by a southern author.  Y'all.

Let's face it, we love flavor.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I love cookbooks and read them like novels. My absolute favorites are the Gooseberry Cookbooks. The recipes are simple and absolutely delicious.

Oh!! me too.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal  I don't have a Martha cookbook, though I have used her recipes, and generally trust her quality control. I've recently gotten a couple of books from Meredith Laurence, who used to do demos for Q. They're very reliable. My oldest are Julia Child's original book and a Joy of Cooking. I don't pull them out often now, but I have learned a lot from them. I have several other French cookbooks, some Malaysian cookbooks, and quite a few specialty books as well. Some I keep for only a recipe or two. I know, I know, I could copy that recipe and pass the book along. Instead, I have a rule that I can only have as many as there are room for on my shelf. Okay, two shelves. I love reading them, and get lots of ideas and inspiration. But I never seem to have every single ingredient for any recipe! So I'm always adapting, substituting, revising--which I like but which means I never cook the same thing twice. Makes me a competent cook (but a terrible baker).