Respected Contributor

knife sharpener advise, please

i'm looking for a sharpener that will do both straight and serrated knives. manual or electric(leaning toward electric).

Does anyone use one that is good for  both, that they would recommend? thanks for any suggestion.

Frequent Contributor

Re: knife sharpener advise, please

Do any of them work like they say? Grrrr
Honored Contributor

I have a 'Chef's Choice' unit (electric) that I've had for many years and really like.  It says something like Trizor XV on it.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Son, A professional chef, bought us a Chef's Choice which DH uses frequently.  There are different versions, so read the specs, to ensure the one you close will do the various knives you use.

Honored Contributor

My dad, A knife collector, bought me a whetstone and showed me the proper way to sharpen knives.  About once a year I collect them all and have a major knife sharpening session.  One secret is to buy only good quality knives, none of the TV shopping specials.  They stay sharp much longer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Williams Sonoma does knife sharpening.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My dad, A knife collector, bought me a whetstone and showed me the proper way to sharpen knives.  About once a year I collect them all and have a major knife sharpening session.  One secret is to buy only good quality knives, none of the TV shopping specials.  They stay sharp much longer.

@Kachina624 

When my granddaddy was in his 90s and no longer walked as much as before, he would gather all the knives and sit on the porch sharpening knives for hours.  He had a whetstone and he had used it for years to sharpen Grandmother's knives as needed but now it had become a hobby.  She had a large collection of knives because they farmed, owned a restaurant and she cooked for "farm hands" as well as for the restaurant and had several helpers who used knives.  They also butchered their own pork and beef, had chicken houses and "wrung" the chickens' necks for food.  Sounds gross to some of you.  It was survival for those of us in that day and time.

Having said all that, I have Cutco knives and have never needed them sharpened but should I, they want you to return them to the company for sharpening.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday    Your grandmother must have spent her life in the kitchen.  I bet they had some good meals though with all that homegrown meat.  Makes me hungry just to think of it all.

My grandmother also cooked for hired hands on a ranch in Colorado.  Women had a hard life back in those days.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nonametoday    Your grandmother must have spent her life in the kitchen.  I bet they had some good meals though with all that homegrown meat.  Makes me hungry just to think of it all.

My grandmother also cooked for hired hands on a ranch in Colorado.  Women had a hard life back in those days.

@Kachina624 

My mother was a very good woman who I loved dearly.  My grandmother was a saint.  Everyone loved her and she did an awful lot for the community in in the way of sharing butchered meat and vegetables from the garden with neighbors less fortunate and those neighbors might have been 1/2 mile to a mile away or the people who worked for them, but she always knew who was needy and tried to help.