Honored Contributor

Re: jULY 2017, We still Need to do some cooking - so what's cooking?

I make Bahn Mi sandwiches frequently, using the same recipe, but last night, I finally opened my book and found a recipe I wanted to try, so did.  It calls for the pork, I used tenderloin which I buy at costco, to be marinated.  The marinade has tons of ingredients, but most are what one would already have at home.  I chose to stuff it with garlic, as I do most meat, but because the sauce was rich, it wasn't necessary, garlic in the sauce anyway.  There was enough sauce to freeze half, as I only used one tenderloin.

After four hours, I removed it from the marinade, dried it off, then seared it in a hot cast iron pan until charred on both sides, then basted it with sauce and into the oven, to be basted every ten minutes for 20-30 minutes.  

I lightly toasted a fresh baguette with butter on both sides, recipe called for this so thought I would try it, then put a mixture of mayo and siracha on one side, leftover from my original recipe, then added sliced pork, pickled daikon or any radish, carrot strips, thin, then topped this with thinly sliced cucumber and some cilantro, I put sliced jalapena on mine.  It was yummy.

I am now encouraged to try more recipes.

Contributor

It's around 2:30 am, I have no idea why I am still awake. Thinking about my menu for dinner tonight, I think we will have chicken kabobs with peppers and onions on the grill. I have some great teriyaki sauce that we got from our favorite restaurant that I'll will put on my portion. Rice and a small salad will be good with that.

I do know why I am awake, worrying abut a student I taught last year. He's been gravely injured, his bike handle went through his colon which had to be entirely removed. He's very, very ill with an infection. This poor little boy! Life can change so drastically in an instant, there but for the grace of God go any of us really. 

After work, some ladies I work with during the school year are meeting for lunch. I hope I'm not too tired to go. Have a great day everyone.

Respected Contributor

1905Salad - you had enough on your mind to keep you awake. There are times when I cannot sleep due to my mind racing - it just will not calm down sometimes. Hopefully you will make your luncheon with friends - that is always a winner.

Got nice and cool in the early morning hours out here but I know the heat will be back shortly. Not looking for that at all. Have had more than enough the past month - enough, quite frankly, to last a lifetime. Humidity has been horrible.

Last night we had frozen dinners. Kids were rolling and Shannon was here to help????? I so wish she would seek help as she definitely has some severe problems but only she can make her life better - and others around her. I hope to fix dinner tonight - kids will be with Sherry as I have my MD appointment in the morning with my pulmonary MD. So it means just Davey and I here so that will be a tad easy - whatever I come up with. I cannot stand those frozen dinners - actually ate one and I still cannot understand why others love them so much. LOL.

Gotta run, little ones will be moving pretty quickly. Actually Ricky already made it to the living room, covered him with a light cover and he is snoozing again - not for long however.

Have a great day everyone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Davey and I went to Chili's for an early dinner. Good eating at that place!!! Had a salad - cannot remember the name - and a quesadilla. So very very tasty. Davey had some monster something and again, can not come up with a name. Food was good however.

Tomorrow a.m. it is off to the pulmonary MD - dread it as I may not get any news I will like - suspect that is the way it will go.

We had 10 drops of rain today. Yippee - not enough but it was pure heaven.

Hope one and all had a great day!

Contributor

Good luck today at the dr. Winifred, I hope everything goes well for you.

Today I am going to make eggplant rollatini. I plan on making this as low fat as possible. I will slice the eggplant in long strips and then bake them, no breading. My ricotta mixture will be with nonfat ricotta, parsley, egg. 

After the eggplant strips cool, I'll spread the ricotta evenly and roll them up, topped with marinara and the tiniest bit of mozzarella, then bake again. I just saw a video of this, it seems so easy.  My dh will never eat this, I will have leftovers for sure. 

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. hope everything went well for you at doctors yestauday. last nights dinner was chicken stroganoff over noodles. was very good. today sunny all day and 79. tomorrow showers return. hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pulmonary MD said biopsies are again negative - that is good. But he is still very worried as there are definitely two masses in my lungs and they - at this point - cannot figure out what it is - not growing however. So I go back the end of November for yet another scan. He says probably a disease of some kind but so far they do not have any answers to anything. Also found out why those of us needing the  portable small portable oxygen concentrators are on a waiting list. The company providing and servicing them are leaving California the last day of August so those under contract with them can do nothing until then. So much for all the mess and hardship. guess some of us just have to wait until the first of September to find out what if any help we get then. The name of that company is Life Care - watch out for them if they are coming to your State. Always something.

Taking Ricky this morning to his first session with a counselor - dread it quite frankly but he does need some help. Poor little guy - he sure has his ups and downs. Problems are not just with me so to me it makes no sense as they will only be dealing with Ricky and myself. He has these flareups with anyone when the mood strikes - in fact not often with me but I am his caretaker so I am the one they will deal with. The young lady who worked with him for a very short time and had to stop when he turned 3, something about the fact they could not work with the child after they turn 3?????? She came to the house and observed him in his surroundings - that made sense as she worked with suggestions to help him at the time. This time I have to take him to a facility, he and I are put in a room and she sends me instructions of some kind and not sure how, and she observes and then critiques how I handle it. Huh?

Going to be another warm and HUMID day. Temps never hit 100 yesterday but the humidity was miserable. Was pretty good when the sun stayed hidden - that helped.

Have a good day - not sure what for dinner - may have some spaghetti - sounds good to me and the kids love it.

Contributor

Winifred, I'm sorry you're are having unanswered lung problems. Also, very disheartening to hear there is a waiting list for oxygen. That seems so unbelievable to me. 

Glad to hear your little one is getting help. I'm making pasta as we speak also. It's gluten free so only only one person will be eating that. Leftover eggplant for me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winifred wrote:

Pulmonary MD said biopsies are again negative - that is good. But he is still very worried as there are definitely two masses in my lungs and they - at this point - cannot figure out what it is - not growing however. So I go back the end of November for yet another scan. He says probably a disease of some kind but so far they do not have any answers to anything. Also found out why those of us needing the  portable small portable oxygen concentrators are on a waiting list. The company providing and servicing them are leaving California the last day of August so those under contract with them can do nothing until then. So much for all the mess and hardship. guess some of us just have to wait until the first of September to find out what if any help we get then. The name of that company is Life Care - watch out for them if they are coming to your State. Always something.

Taking Ricky this morning to his first session with a counselor - dread it quite frankly but he does need some help. Poor little guy - he sure has his ups and downs. Problems are not just with me so to me it makes no sense as they will only be dealing with Ricky and myself. He has these flareups with anyone when the mood strikes - in fact not often with me but I am his caretaker so I am the one they will deal with. The young lady who worked with him for a very short time and had to stop when he turned 3, something about the fact they could not work with the child after they turn 3?????? She came to the house and observed him in his surroundings - that made sense as she worked with suggestions to help him at the time. This time I have to take him to a facility, he and I are put in a room and she sends me instructions of some kind and not sure how, and she observes and then critiques how I handle it. Huh?

Going to be another warm and HUMID day. Temps never hit 100 yesterday but the humidity was miserable. Was pretty good when the sun stayed hidden - that helped.

Have a good day - not sure what for dinner - may have some spaghetti - sounds good to me and the kids love it.

@Winifred  I am wondering if there is an inexpensive/free preschool Ricky could attend several times a week, daily would be preferable.  I put DD in one when she was almost three, for three-fours hours a day.  The last six months or so before she would begin Kindergarten, she went all day to prepare her for longer hours. Even though naps were included, she would not go to sleep, lol, was exhausted by the time I picked her up and wanted to sleep on the way home, and as I have mentioned, I told her no, because then she wouldn't sleep that night.

I think he needs kids his age, also his gender, to play with and to learn how to get along socially, will also burn off energey, in a good way, and expand his brain as there is teaching in preschool.

Honored Contributor

The other night, I picked a handful of yellow flat beans, yellow cherry tomatoes, one small zucchini, and four leaves of basil.  I par cooked the beans, then sauteed the zucchini, then added the beans, and at the last minute, added the halved tomatoes and basil chiffonade, and that was the side for DH to eat with his leftover prawn pasta.

Last night, I had some leftover uncooked pork tenderloin, so tacos to the rescue.  I used tomatoes from one of the plants, along with red onion and cilantro for the topping, beans and cheese of course for DH, beans and topping for me.

Tonight will probably be a broccoli, spinach, mushroom and zucchini fritatta since it is garbage night and DH can serve himself when he is done, usually around 9:00, with that, and I can go to bed. Smiley Happy