Respected Contributor

induction burners?

[ Edited ]

Any tips on buying an induction burners? I have been trying to do my homework before purchasing. As always reviews on so many run the gamut.

I have an electric range . Neither myself or DH can seem to get the burners to stay level. For everday cooking it works alright. I would like something more precise for some items though and am thinking of induction burners. When at garage sales /thrift store I have noticed some really nasty abused NuWave ones. Burnt off plastic , etc. of course that could be from users not following instructions or older models.

Does 1500 watts sound powerful enough ? I am looking at Tramotina sold at Walmart. I believe it is glass. It has 10 temperatures & comes with a couple of pans. $68 ish. I ordered the Copper Chef set also from QVC.   I liked the look of Paula Deen's on Evine , but more bad reviews than good.

Ideally I would have a gas stovetop in a huge kitchen--eh throw in a cook also ...I digress. We have a small kitchen and a clumsy cook (me) , so I have a tendency to be awkward with open flames. Also to install would be $$$.

I always garner the best info on these boards.

Valued Contributor

@okaywitheasypay, After doing much research and reading reviews I ended up buying mine from Amazon.  It's a "Secura 8100MC 1800W Portable Induction Countertop Burner."  It was $59.99 and I absolutely love it.  I use it every day, it heats up incredibly fast and is well made.  I know there are a lot of choices out there, hope you find something you love!

Honored Contributor

@Sueliz that sounds like a great induction burner for the price!

@okaywitheasypay I have had a couple of the NuWave burners and mine worked great, never had a problem with them burning up like I have seen in garage sales.  I bought the second one because you could change the temperature in 5 degree intervals as opposed to the usual standard of 10 degrees at a time which I found helpful.

Trusted Contributor

After having a massive leak from our upstairs potty onto my beloved range top, (don't ask) we were thus in the market of replacing it.  The codes in our area had changed and the introduction of a gas cooktop would necessitate the installation of a hood, new duct work etc. So, we opted for an induction cooktop.  After the initial period of adjustment, I would get one again (hopefully not) Induction is widely used in Europe and there are certain brands that specialize in production them.  Don't forget, you need magnetic pans.  so check your pans with a magnet to see if they work.  I love mine.

Honored Contributor

@Deanie oh goodness I have cooked on electic all of my life but I recently moved and the stove is gas . . . talk about a learning curve . . . I literally had a fire extinguisher right next to me the first couple of times I went to light the stove . . . tee hee!

I am so glad you are pleased with your induction cooktop.  If I had my choice, that would be it.  Quick to heat and a bit safer than gas (which I now love but it took a while).  Congratulations on your new cooktop!

Respected Contributor

TY to all. I think I am going to go purchase the Tramontina one at WM tonight if I can figure out from their website if it is in stock at the store. It would quailify for free delivery , but they usually use Fed-x and I have not alwasy appreciated their methods. at least in my area.

I read where chefs prefernce is  gas for cooking. Then I am not a chef, and weather wise I cannot stand the heat and want out of the kitchen Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Without doubt I would choose a Nuwave Portable Induction Cooker. I own two and love them. Be sure and choose a model that has temperature adjustability in 5 degree increments. If they died, I'd buy the Nuwaves again. Since I've had mine, I haven't used an electric stove. Currently I live in a retirement community where we have no stoves (meals are part of our rent deal). I cook frequently and use my Nuwaves.