New Contributor

how choose between air fryer, convection oven or pressure cooker?

Honored Contributor

Re: how choose between air fryer, convection oven or pressure cooker?

Welcome to the kitchen forum. Figure out what you would cook in each one & which you would get the most use out of.

i would pick convection oven since we already have 2 air fryers & 2 pressure cookers.

New Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts.  Why do you have 2 air fryers?  I have been debating since I missed TSV air fryer in March, but recent presentations on convection oven, and continuous presentations of pressure cookers have me constricted.  I like fried foods though and I don't think either pressure cooker or convection does fried foods at all or well?  Not that I want to buy that much in frozen fried foods, I tend to like fried foods over other options.

Honored Contributor

@monster I have all three but if you like fried foods and would like to get rid of the oil associated with deep frying then an air fryer is what you are looking for.  I love mine and use it all the time (aside from "fried food" type things as I make toast, I reheat leftovers etc.) but it cannot be beat in terms of "frying" foods.  Aside from frying frozen foods (french fries, frozen chicken, etc.) I have also made delicious, fresh entrees like pork chops and veggies.  It's really a very versatile appliance and I am so glad I bought mine.

Welcome to the boards as we are happy to have you!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I did get the TSV Air Fryer and I love it...I make simple things like burgers....hot dogs..and it makes the best frozen french fries...left over pizza is wonderful in the air fryer...crispy like when you first buy it....I like it because i don't get all that oil/grease when making the foods i eat often...oh, grilled cheese sandwiches are great, too..

Honored Contributor

An air fryer would be my last choice.  I see it as having limited applications.  The pressure cookers are wonderful and I love mine, especially since it's also a slow cooker.  Best of all I love my Breville oven.  I use it every meal and have cooked about everything under the sun (except crumpets) in it.  Haven't used my big oven since I got it.

You didn't mention it, but I also love my induction burner and again, use it instead of the stove.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My order would be, convection oven first, then pressure cooker last air fryer. I use my Breville Smart oven all the time, multiple times a day. I have both a pressure cooker and a pressure canner. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
New Contributor

All five responses are very important to me.  I have noted that the Air Fryer receives rave reviews, which is why I've considered it these past few months.  Two forum comments today mentioned the convection oven, which in fact led to my indecision about the air fryer to the point of joining this blog.  I've always appreciated everyone's reviews of products over the years, but never submitted one myself.  My question:  the Breville also seems like an air fryer, just by being a convection oven.  It crips ... and thereby is the best convection oven in lieu of an air fryer?  Maybe not perfect, but best all-around alternative?

Honored Contributor

@monster wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts.  Why do you have 2 air fryers?  I have been debating since I missed TSV air fryer in March, but recent presentations on convection oven, and continuous presentations of pressure cookers have me constricted.  I like fried foods though and I don't think either pressure cooker or convection does fried foods at all or well?  Not that I want to buy that much in frozen fried foods, I tend to like fried foods over other options.

@monster I bought 2 air fryers because DH wanted one to take to work. I like using the air fryer because my stomach cannot tolerate the grease.

Valued Contributor

You first need to consider the kinds of food you cook and frequency with which you cook  various dishes. That said, I'd not purchase an air fryer at all as the Breville Smart Convection Oven  can make what the air fryer can make and SO MUCH MORE. I'd also recommend purchasing a pressure cooker. I own several stovetop pressure cookers and a new favorite, the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. And by the way, if one wants to do slow cooking, there's a setting on the Instant Pot for using it as a slow cooker.