Honored Contributor

heard of this new apple variety?

[ Edited ]

anyone heard of an apple called Rave---holy cow, one apple was the size of a newborn  baby's  head---I bet it wieghed 1 1/2 lbs. was enormous and was $3.99 a lb. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: heard of this new apple variety?

They had these in my market last fall.  I purchased some because they are a cross with Honey Crisp and something else.  I love Honey Crisps but I personally didn't care for this apple.

Esteemed Contributor

ha! I Upon seeing your header, all i could think about was what new tablet, phone, or watch was launched that i must have missed!!!! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 ---oh thats funny! Never occured to me to explain apple----bet you shook your head at the babies head description!!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

They carry Rave apples at my local TJs. I did try them. They are ok, but I like Envy and Honeycrisps better.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I bought them last year. And then I added them to my list of favorite apples. 
Found them today at Fry's. Wish they weren't so large. 

Respected Contributor

I just saw Rave apples in my supermarket. They were large, but not monsters. After all the praise for Honeycrisps, I thought I'd try one. At $4 a pound, I reconsidered. Will wait for the fall harvest to bring in the apples I like, which are a third that price. I'm too  cheap for a new addiction.

Honored Contributor

I don't like Honey Crisp apples.  To me they are much too sweet.  I prefer Macintosh and Cortland apples which are slightly tart.  I have not seen Rave apples.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

My favorite apple is Pink Lady.  

Honored Contributor

I learned how good Pink Lady apples are when Mrs. Prindible offered them years ago covered in nuts, caramel and chocolate.