Honored Contributor

Re: have to rave about this item

Hmmmm, you are making me think @QVCkitty1 .  I usually use the Vitamix to shred things but you're right about clean up.  I'll have to track what I do the next week or two.  

Honored Contributor

I purchased 4 of these several years ago; gave 1 to my mother and kept 3 for me.   I am down to 2; literally wore 1 out already, the blades are no longer sharp enough to chop!  

I chop A LOT of onions and cabbage with mine; I like both chopped very fine for hot dogs.   I needed crushed pineapple for a recipe and only had pineapple chunks in the pantry, so a few pulls on the pull chop gave me what I needed.   

Ham, chicken, and turkey get turned into meat salads with the help of my pull chop.  I like it at a finer consistency too, so once I get the meat how I want it, the onions, celery and pickles are cut to match, and everything is nice and smooth.   

Even tho an electric chopper or food processor would be faster, I don’t want another appliance.   I like this little chopper because it’s easy to use, to clean, and to store. 

Do not get water inside the pull chop lid!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  Me, too! I've had one for a few years now, and I like it so much I bought a second one just in case something happens to the first. I do have a grater/shredder thingy for my stand mixer, but it's not effective for chopping or small quantities. This gadget is simple to grab, use and clean. I love making egg or ham salads with about half celery, so that's a common use. Really, it's perfect for just about any kind of spread--hummus, baba ganoush, you name it. It mixes while it chops. And although I kinda like chopping veggies, this thing makes short work getting anything cut into small and same sized pieces. Onions--no tears. You can almost puree softer things if you want to. Chuck in a few ingredients and pour out salsa immediately. Zip out a quick handful of things to turn into a last minute pan sauce. I put in a little of this and that salad ingredients, add salad dressing ingredients, and in seconds turn the whole thing out onto my greens. 

Trusted Contributor

Well, I must admit that if I had a Vitamix, and could keep it on the counter, I think I'd use that, and not need the little chopper.

Honored Contributor

@KaySD Thank you!  Hummus was the magic word.  I am only one person so doing that and maybe my salad dressings especially oil and vinegar would work for me.  I can't do that in the Vitamix and use all of it before it spoils.  Never thought of spreads and liquids.  I got it now.  Thanks! 

Super Contributor

I have the model from a few years ago, came with an extra bowl and lid too.  I love making and storing tuna or chicken salad with mine.  Chop some red onion and celery pieces with maybe 3 or 4 pulls of the handle, add 1 or 2 6oz cans of tuna, pepper and some mayo to your liking.  Pull handle a few times and the tuna salad is done.  Put on lid and into the fridge.  Same for chicken salad and also onions and garlic for making tomato sauce.  Love it and easy to clean as well.  A favorite purchase of mine.

Honored Contributor

I bought a similar and cheaper one at Amazon a couple of years ago.  It does a great job.  Nice for choppping onions, etc.  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14  To be clear, I've never used it just for liquids...though I certainly add liquids to other ingredients. And things like hummus are really easy. What I like most is that the chopper is so small and simple and non-electric. Complicated gadgets might be able to do lots more, but since they tend to stay in the cabinet, they end up doing nothing at all, know what I mean?

Honored Contributor

@KaySD   Yes I do!  I have very little space too so anything tiny that helps a lot is something that interests me.  

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Well, I must admit that if I had a Vitamix, and could keep it on the counter, I think I'd use that, and not need the little chopper.

@KaySD Nope.  Our Vitamix is out and used a lot.  BUT we use this for tuna and chicken salad, chopping nuts, a tiny batch of salsa, and lots of other things.

We use the Vitamix for larger batches, smoothies, salad dressings in batches and other things.  But for a small quick batch of tuna salad, it would get pureed in the Vitamix and you would be hard pressed to dig it out of there.

You DO need a chopper!  I want a 3 cup one now!