Honored Contributor

An idea that is gaining popularity in my area of southern WV is gifting family size meals from Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, and Shoneys, for any occasion where we think of taking food.   

This was done for a close friend of mine at Christmas.  She received a call from the restaurant with the news a friend was gifting her their holiday special family meal, and all she had to do was tell them when to have it ready, and pick it up.  For her situation the food was carried out to the car.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: food gift ideas please

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

An idea that is gaining popularity in my area of southern WV is gifting family size meals from Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, and Shoneys, for any occasion where we think of taking food.   

This was done for a close friend of mine at Christmas.  She received a call from the restaurant with the news a friend was gifting her their holiday special family meal, and all she had to do was tell them when to have it ready, and pick it up.  For her situation the food was carried out to the car.  

@RedTop  I remember those three places very well. When we were living in Fl and drove back and forth to Georgia to  visit relatives, those were our favorites. Now living in Ga and a Cracker Barrel is a few minutes away, it's just not the same. Food is so different here.

Respected Contributor

River Street Sweets seems very similar in products and price to Savanna's Candy Kitchen. I've ordered from them frequently. They have I believe a 15% off sale site wide now.

Love ordering from Nuts.com Nice variety, family owned, very fresh, fast, and not just nuts. Think they have free shipping on first order.

Though I know gift cards seem a little impersonal perhaps your friend would welcome one from Grub Hub or Door Dash. That way she can decide what they'd like.

Respected Contributor

another nut.com lover here.

they have tons more than just nuts.  ie the fudge is yummmm!   i stock up on their numerous flavors of sesame sticks, nut oils, dried fruits.

they also do gift baskets that you customize.  they ship FAST usually same day and i get my order in 1 to 2 days.   

for Q i am always successful with the just bagel offerings.   i just placed another order with blueberry which is my fav!   they have savory and sweet choices.   they come in bags of 6 which i place directly into freezer.  pull out quanities as needed.  they ship FAST usually next day and i get my order in 1 to 2 days.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

Re: food gift ideas please

[ Edited ]

Spoonful of Comfort dot com offers many nice gift combinations. 

We were gifted a delivery from that website and I was really impressed.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I have never ordered any food products from QVC. A friend of mine is having surgery and I would like to send her a treat. Not too expensive but maybe a Grandmas coffee cake or cookies. The reviews are mixed. Do food items typically ship right away? Any recommendations for goodies that you have ordered? TIA

@KCDiva 

Based on your comments, I'm guessing you don't live in the same city?    Never heard of Grandma's products.  Maybe it's a regional company.

Chocolate can be a very iffy choice during the summer months.   If you want to send candy, hard candies are safest .... plus they last a while and don't spoil if left out.

Personally, for hostess gifts when going to someone's home, I always brought a box of Godiva Chocolates and whispered to the host that she should hide these and have them when everyone was gone.  LOL .... most of them did just that.  

Honored Contributor

The more I think about it, in today's world I would never give a food gift unless I know they eat white flour, sugar, salt, fat, or anything else.  So many people I know are on some kind of diet or eating plan.

Me included. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The more I think about it, in today's world I would never give a food gift unless I know they eat white flour, sugar, salt, fat, or anything else.  So many people I know are on some kind of diet or eating plan.

Me included. . . Woman Frustrated

@Sooner - I am the world's pickiest eater. Please don't send food to me.  While most of the choices listed on here look so nice, most of them wouldn't be for me.  I think it's so hard to send food to people.

I did get a gift from Spoonful of Comfort once,  chicken noodle soup, rolls and 6 cookies.  It was very good.  I also got a gift basket from Harry and David once that was literally all pears.  Neither my husband nor I ate pears.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

We know each other well. I know what she likes to eat. I just wanted to know if the food, Grandmas Coffee Cake, shipped right away or not. I've never ordered food from QVC. The shipping, even local is ridiculous. QVC includes. It's just a little "feel better" gift. I'm not trying to send her a meal. She has all  that taken care of.