Honored Contributor

Re: finally found a food saver/sealer

@shoesnbags---the one I had and the one I am getting now ---is the Foodsaver brand--you know the one that the vendor Jan used to demo on the Q; he does the Vitamix shows----and I bought another one after the first one died,  and used it awhile but it didn't last. Not sure what it was =--an off brand I think. So I opted for another Foodsaver brand as I had and used that thing for prob 15 years. It has a feature that you can use to vacuum seal soft things like breads, pastries too. Also there is a port on it to attach a hose to use when you want to marinate things---I have a set of canisters that came with the original one still and a square canister that I use all the time for marinating meat all day long. the other brands didn't have that port. Will use that process  to mainate meat , seal it up after and throw it in the freezer.  I'm sure there are other very good brands out there but this one was the one that fit my budget.   

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@shoesnbags---the one I had and the one I am getting now ---is the Foodsaver brand--you know the one that the vendor Jan used to demo on the Q; he does the Vitamix shows----and I bought another one after the first one died,  and used it awhile but it didn't last. Not sure what it was =--an off brand I think. So I opted for another Foodsaver brand as I had and used that thing for prob 15 years. It has a feature that you can use to vacuum seal soft things like breads, pastries too. Also there is a port on it to attach a hose to use when you want to marinate things---I have a set of canisters that came with the original one still and a square canister that I use all the time for marinating meat all day long. the other brands didn't have that port. Will use that process  to mainate meat , seal it up after and throw it in the freezer.  I'm sure there are other very good brands out there but this one was the one that fit my budget.   

Thanks @wagirl !  This is exactly the kind of advice I needed, from someone who has a lot of experience with these machines. 🥰  So Foodsaver brand it is, and I’m off to see what I can find. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

Has any one purchased the "tower of power" food saver one? Can you use freezer bags with it?

Respected Contributor

This is the model I've been using for several years, at least 5, bought it at Costco, model FM5480 2-in-1.  I wasn't sure I'd like it being so different from the flat models I'd owned previously.  I love it because it is fast and if it isn't drawing out the air it's because I need to re-adjust the bag, then it works perfectly.  It doesn't over-draw moisture like my last one did.  

I think this model may be hard to find, a newer one may be on the market.  A 5200 model at Amazon does not have the pulse function which is important if you freeze any baked goods or anything you don't want squished.

FM5480-026_01.jpg

Respected Contributor

My dh and I have a nickname for it, "The Suck N Save"