Valued Contributor

Re: electric coffee percolator.....want one for christmas

I bought this vintage 1950's Coffeematic on ebay recently "New in Box".  It makes great coffee and hot!

30089595-8D67-4F0E-A071-2FECFC236CF4.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45  I don't have a recommendation for you but just wanted to say that we have a stove top percolator and the coffee is excellent!  Our Keurig is now in a cabinet.  And I think overall it's less expensive.  Our works best with coffee that is ground a bit coarser.

Hope Santa brings you one!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Gosh, I must have been doing something very wrong.  I love a steaming HOT cup of coffee.  I bought an electric percolator, but the coffee didn't get hot enough for me.  I went back to using my stove stop percolator.   I cannot recall what I purchased (donated it to my sister), but I bought it on Amazon with high ratings.  I'm curious what I did wrong.  Happy Coffee Drinking!

Trusted Contributor

@giddy up  Oh!  My beloved parents had one like this.  Oh, the memories.  Thank you for posting this.  Wish I could have coffee with them right now.

Occasional Contributor

I have a Presto 12 cup.  I have not been able to master the art of making a really good cup of coffee.  I'm not sure how much coffee to add for every 8 ounce cups of water.  

Frequent Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

I bought this vintage 1950's Coffeematic on ebay recently "New in Box".  It makes great coffee and hot!

30089595-8D67-4F0E-A071-2FECFC236CF4.jpeg

And it LOOKS spectacular!  👍🏻🎈❗️

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have been wanting an electric coffee percolator and christmas seems like a good time to ask santa for one. Smiley Wink

anyone have one that they love or recommend? i am thinking i just want one that is maybe 4 - 6 cups, but will consider a larger one if it is highly recommended. have never owned one but have heard that they produce an excellent cup of coffee and it stays hot.

For many years I've used a Farberware Electric Percolator - until 5 yrs ago. I have purchased at least 6 or 7 brands - 4 cup and 12 cup. They're all defective: Farberware, Hamilton Beach, Cuisinart, Presto, etc. They're all made in China - at the same factory - and they've lasted me from 1-1/2 months to 8 months. People post good reviews when they buy them - and u can't update those reviews. So - when they stop perking or there's a problem with the lid --- you won't get the true story. 

I had to buy a small carafe from Amazon - as I had no other choice. I still miss my electric percolator.

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@sunshine45 I found an Electic Percolator for you it's by Presto -12 cup stainless steel it have a five star rating . The cost is $60.00 plus $5.50 s&h. It's in stock. Returns good until 1-31-2020. item # K-129217.It's on easy pay of 5 of $ 12.20.Happy Holidays Smiley Happy

A few months ago, I returned 2 Presto Elec Percolators to Costco. They were both 12 cup (I only needed 4 cup - but no one carries that.) The first one lasted 8 months - and the 2nd lasted 1-1/2 months. They just stop working. Read all the BAD reviews on-line about elec. percolators.

Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@sunshine45 

I suggest Farberware.  They make delicious coffee.  I have 4 older models, 2 of them were my mothers, and all still going strong.  My 2-4 cup & 2-8 cup, and my Mom's were 2-8 and 2-12 cup.  (The cup "sizes" are deceiving as they are mainly based on small cup sizes...probably 5-6 oz. size, not the mega sizes we are all drinking now.)  For one pot to use overall I would suggest one in the middle size range so if you have guests you should get about 4-6 larger cups of coffee.

Having the 3 sizes is a help when having many guests that like different things.  Regular coffee in largest, decalf in mid-size, and hot water in smallest for tea & hot chocolate so everyone has something.

Farberware - like the other brands - are all now DEFECTIVE. Google all their BAD reviews.

Respected Contributor

I have a small 6-cup Presto, which I love, but I've had it for years. A family friend was looking for one, and told me that the reviews for Presto percolators were mixed. I checked. Surprisingly, they were. Same for Farberware, another once-reliable brand.

It just seems odd to have such a disparity in reviews.

What worries you masters you.